Laser printed dry-transfer decals?

I know I'm losing my mind, but I could have sworn I either read in a forum or got an email today about a "system" that would allow you to
print dry-transfer decals (including white) with a laser printer. Anybody know what I'm referring to?
There was an ad about it the newest edition of SR.
--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2

Color lasers have come *way* down in the last year or so. You can get a basic HP2550L for under $400, and the full-blown networked (2550n) one with supplementary paper tray for under $600. 600x600dpi; 20ppm B&W; 4ppm color; parallel, USB, and network ports; runs on PC or Mac. Got one a c ouple of months ago, and it works great!
--
Mike KD7PVT
NAR #70953 - Sr/HPR Level-1 ~ BEMRC - NAR Section #627
Mike Pearson <see .sig> wrote:

How's the price of the toner?
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Not too bad - the black runs about $79 (5000 page), the colors are around $75 or $95 (2000 page/4000 page high capacity). Each is separate, and loads into a sort of revolving cylinder. For a low-cost color laser it does pretty well, but it is rather noisy as it rotates the toner cartridges into position.
This one replaced an old GCC BLP-Elite that I bought in 1992 - it was the first laser printer that listed for under $1000, and lasted me through many years of good service.
--
Mike KD7PVT
NAR #70953 - Sr/HPR Level-1 ~ BEMRC - NAR Section #627
Mike Pearson <see .sig> wrote:

So would that be two toner cartridges? One for black and one for the colors? Years ago it used to one black and three for the colors.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

No, four carts - I should have said "for each of the colors". Sorry for the misunderstanding.
--
"Mike Pearson wrote in message
This one replaced an old GCC BLP-Elite that I bought in 1992 - it was the first laser printer that listed for under $1000, and lasted me through many years of good service
At least you didn't purchase the PLP. It was a SCSI printer that used Apple's QuickDraw to print and still you had to change the EP magazine constantly at $145.00 a pop. I thought the BLP had the same EP issue.
Mike S

I used 2 EP cartidges through the life of the printer. Many thousands of pages. I did 'burn' the EP with sunlight not too lone before we decided to retire it , so there was a constant smudge in one corner, but it usually went away by the second page or so, so I had a 'cover' page that I'd print first if I needed anything that looked really good.
The BLP-Elite was a Postscript printer. The only real limitation I saw was that I didn't hjave enough memory to print large jobs, but I could usually break it up into smaller batches and run it. I was very happy with the printer. I had the fuser go out, and whe I took it to the local "authorized" repair center they wound up giving me a loaner for several months while they tried to figure it out. By the time I got it back from them they decided it needed a fuser, logic board, and that it had a bent frame, and they wanted over $900 to repair it. I shipped it to GCC and they fixed anything that was really needed (the fuser) for a flat $200, then it worked great for the next 5 years.
--
Mike KD7PVT
NAR #70953 - Sr/HPR Level-1 ~ BEMRC - NAR Section #627
yes but for a one time job 400 dollars is a lot of money... plus laser doesnt print photo as well as inkjets...
Keep in mind guys that if you use an inkjet you still have to have a color copier to copy it to use this system.
You still have to use the system because inkjets or lasers cannot print white
You could always put the file you want on a disk, and take the disk and paper to your local office supply store and have them print it if it is a one time shot
Keep in mind guys that if you use an inkjet you still have to have a color copier to copy it to use this system.
You still have to use the system because inkjets or lasers cannot print white
You could always put the file you want on a disk, and take the disk and paper to your local office supply store and have them print it if it is a one time shot
ASP has decal printing paper http://www.asp-rocketry.com/decoratingmaterials.html for ink jet with both clear and white background.
Charles wrote: ...

Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L2

Think about white lettering for a rocket's name. White block on a dark blue rocket.
Now think about printing that on: - White paper. - A clear decal.
You would have to cut out each letter from the white sheet to have white letters if you don't have white ink. If you can print white, you print it to the clear decal and slap it on the rocket.
Problem is it's not just letters. Sometimes you want white in a logo which has open areas. Now you have to cut out the open areas if you don't have white ink.

To hot to bother wrote:

The web site wasn't real clear on how you use the foil and white transfers. Is it white only or color only? Can you have a color decal with white in one pass?
Anyone actually used the stuff?
You can get the foil (and maybe white) at any decent office supply store. Just print the page, then run the paper with the foil on top through the printer again to stick the foil to the paper. You then peal off the foil carrier and you have metallic printing from the laser printer. Do this with clear peal and stick label material and you have a self adhesive decal. Put another label over it to protect the foil.
you still cant print white with color laser so....
10 US dollar is alot in taiwan for this kind of service though (a photo print generally runs for 15NT per photo, thats about 50 cents per photo (4x6 that is))