DIY decals/transfers

Has anyone tried making their own decals/transfers using the various special papers that you can put though your printer? I've heard of Crafty Computer paper and various other people selling decal paper on Ebay. Can anyone recommend a supplier? I would like to make sheets of black lettering and cream lettering for a fictitious freelance layout.

Reply to
Gerald H

How are you going to make cream on clear film on a ink jet. It relies on the paper being white. It's the white space around the ink dots that give the eye a brain the feeling of a lighter colour. It does not mix ink together it prints just 3 colours.

Reply to
Trev

You use white inkjet decal paper, such as the following from Walthers catalog, by Evans Designs:

266-P7 Hobby-Cal 8-1/2"x11" decal paper (white) package (5) $15.00.

If it's available in N. America, it's surely available in the UK/Europe.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Crafty Computer Paper is good. You can get clear or white waterslide paper for inkjet or laser; they also do a dry rub-on for inkjet but I haven't tried it. A laser printer gives much crisper blacks than an inkjet; some black ink tends to run. There's lots of other hobby and craft printable media on their website:

The only way to make light-coloured lettering for a dark background is to print on white paper with a background to match what you are going to put it on. Matching background colours is a trial-and-error process.

Reply to
MartinS

I'd say Crafty Computer Paper is his best bet in the UK. I've tried several North American brands and I prefer theirs.

Reply to
MartinS

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:41:29 -0000, "Trev" said in :

Usually four, cyan, magenta, yellow and black - aka CMYK or (in commercial printing) four-colour process.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

But it still can't print white. For that you need an ALPS/Okidata, which aren't made anymore. Supplies are hard to come by too. Or do your own artwork and get a professional printer to make the decals ($$).

Try browsing through posts in Yahoo! Group 'rr-decal'

Reply to
MartinS

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:10:39 -0500, MartinS said in :

Or print on white. Or use a Tektronix Phaser with white wax :-)

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Exactly. You need something that prints opaque white and other light colours.

Reply to
MartinS

Check out the Alps decal Yahoo groups. The printers (which do print white) are still somewhat available from a fellow in Australia, but I suspect a few more years and both printers and supplies will be very hard to find.

There's also an expensive printer from Kodak that does white.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

If you print on white then the O's and B's will be filled in

Reply to
Trev

Do you have a working URL for Crafty as the one you posted above goes straight to Webfusion who is presumably their web hosting co.

Reply to
Keith W

A quick Google brings up

Jerry

As others have said, you can print on white decal paper. Or print on clear film, and paint the model white underneath.

Either approach has its uses and gives different results.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Gerald H said the following on 10/11/2008 21:34:

I've personally not got on with Crafty Computer paper, plus the problem of still not being able to print white lettering. In the end I gave up and bought an Alps - still available new from a guy in New Zealand. (Mine was second-hand from the USA though) Currently supplies are not a problem, although as others have said these printers are deemed to be obsolete so when they break, they stay broken.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Google brought up:

Wolf Kirchmeir

Erm, shouldnt pedant take into account that black isnt a colour ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Neither solves the problem of creating light-coloured letters on a dark background. The only way with a conventional inkjet or laser printer is to print a dark background to match the model where it is to be applied.

Letraset still makes dry transfer lettering - it might be worthwhile to check if they have anything suitable.

The Crafty folks suggested a method some time ago, involving printing in yellow ink on clear decal, then applying a fine white (or gold) powder that they sold, that would stick to the still-wet ink. It's not on their website anymore AFAIK, so I guess it wasn't too successful.

Reply to
MartinS

In printing, black is a colour. So is white.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Erm, shouldn't pedant say 'In printing, black is considered to be colour...' ? :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon