Can anyone print decals?

A follow on from my earlier post re 1/32 Dutch F-104 decals.

Does anyone on this board have the capability of printing their own decals? I have a friend who can produce a decal set for the Dutch F-104 I am trying to build, trouble is I do not know anyone who is able to print them for me.

I would be happy to pay towards printing and postage costs.

Hope to hear from someone as I have a 1/32 F-104 ready to build but without decals, aaargh!!!!

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Corbett

Anyone with a decent inkjet printer can make decals these days. The inkjet decal paper is much improved in the last couple of years.

White or very light colors are difficult to print easily. Darker colors on clear paper are easy.

To print white decals, you need to use white decal paper. The problem then is accurately cutting the decal sheet. One trick is to set the background color to the actual color the decal will be applied over. The result is that you do not need to be super accurate when you cut the decal- you leave a bit of that background color. White on black is pretty easy because it is easy to match black.

But white over something like a metallic red or metallic blue is extremely difficult unless the white part is a very simple shape that is easy to cut out.

Very light colors are as difficult as white- you need to use white paper. But then, I have had commercial decals, including ones in kits, that were terrible with the very light colors.

Jim Corbett wrote:

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Hi Don.

I will give my friend the decals I require for him to create a PDF file for me to print. I will take on board your tips re using white sheets instead of clear.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Corbett

But only use the white sheets if part of the decal is very light colored or white. If all the printing is dark, use the clear- much easier to cut out. Remember, with homemade decals there is only one large decal per sheet- you have to cut out the seperate markings.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Jim, go to

. on the bottom of that page is a list of decal manufacturers who should print those for you. If you already have the artwork, that should make things easier and cheaper.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Thanks Peteski,

I'll check that site out.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Corbett

Thanks for the tip Don!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Corbett

Hi Jim & Peteski,

I read r.m.s. once a month these days, and I replied to the older posting a few minutes ago, also linking to my Alps decal page.

A set of RNLAF 312sqn decals wouldn't be too hard to design I guess. The orange dot is 1/5 of the roundel diameter, and I can probably find out roundel sizes if I look in my references.

Rob

Reply to
Rob de Bie

I found the data I was looking for. Roundels are 880 mm on the inlets and

736 mm on the wings. Squadron badge is 450 mm, serial number on the nose is 480 mm height and 100 mm on the tail.

Good luck!

Rob

Reply to
Rob de Bie