DullCoting HobbyCal Decals???

I've given up on the clear decal material by VitaCal - tried bright yellow and bright green because my printer can't print white, and the colors simply disappear on a Floquil Engine Black background. So, I'm using "white" decals and they turn out very nice, but I tried to DullCote them and the background turned gray! Should I have let the fresh coat of Engine Black dry longer before applying the decals and the DullCote, or am I doing something else wrong?

Reply to
Frank Eva

Hmm, I only use "ready to run" decals (Microscale, Champ (RIP) and such). So I don't know much about print-your-own technology. But, I always let the paint dry at least over night and better for a couple a days before decalling. I've never experienced any trouble using Dull Cote over decals. I use a decal setting solution (Solvaset) to get the little devils to snug down, and then let the decal dry overnight (or longer) before Dull Coting. I have considered printing my own decals, but my printer is just an old HP inkjet that doesn't do white either, so I haven't pursued the matter.

David J. Starr

Reply to
David J. Starr

I've been going through my past issues of "Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette" and I read a comment on photos taken on George Sellios' layout. It says George achieved the nice flat gray color on the roofs of his structures by painting them with Floquil paint and before the paint dries, he sprays them with Dullcoat. This turns the Dullcoat frosty, giving the gray color you observed. So it would be best to let the paint dry for several days. My test to see if paint is dry is to smell it - if there is any smell at all, then it isn't dry.

Good luck!

Bob Boudreau Canada

Reply to
Railfan

Thanks for the tip!

Reply to
Frank Eva

Floquil paint is flat. Decals need a gloss surface to adhere to. Are you applying a coat of gloss before decaling? You may be getting whats called silvering, from the decals not adhering to the paint.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Smith