yellow paint

Ok, someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong here.

I'm using MM brand Insignia Yellow enamel Paint on a Ju88 prop spinner. I've tried spraying it with varying amounts of MM brand Airbrush Thinner, but no matter what I do, it won't coat the spinner evenly. I've tried tilting the drying spinner in different directions, but it either pools at the tip or at the bottom. I can clean up the overflow easily enough from the bottom, but the yellow never seems to get any thicker (brighter) near the tip.

At this point, everything (including myself) is covered in yellow paint except for the tip of the spinner...help!

How can I get it to coat the spinner evenly?

-- Wojo

This is not a signature, never was.

Remove the obvious to email me.

Reply to
Wojo

Yellow (and gloss white) are two of the most difficult colors to spray evenly. Some folk suggest laying down a coat of white before applying the yellow.

I'd suggest stripping down to the bare plastic, applying a light coat of flat white, letting that dry, and then spraying your yellow coat.

Reply to
Rufus

Most yellow paints don't cover very well, at least not since the stopped using lead in the mix anyway. best thing to do is put down a coat of flat white first then apply the yellow over that.

From your description of what's happening I'd also suggest that you have probably got too much thinner in the mix, most enamels shouldn't require any more than 10-15% thinners. also don't try to do too much at once, it's better (and more successful) to apply many light coats than try to flood it all on in one or two coats.

Reply to
Umineko

There are three things that might be wrong:

1) The paint has been thinned too much, so it runs. 2) The surface is contaminated (fingerprints, perhaps), so the paint doesn't want to stay on those spots. Try cleaning the part with soapy water, alcohol, or glass cleaner, and keep your fingers away from the sections you'll be painting. 3) You're trying to get a solid coat of yellow all at once; too much paint in liquid form, so it runs. Yellow and white are notoriously translucent, making it nearly impossible to get proper coverage with just one coat. You have to apply very light coats, so that it's never wet enough to run. Let it dry between coats, and after 3-4 coats you should have a nice opaque finish.
Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I just had it thinned too much.

I've got six or seven coats on it now, and it looks ok. I just had to hang it umop ap!sdn to coat the spinner evenly.

Thanks,