Paint -- anyone else?

Just want to confirm some results -- wondering if anyone can back me up on this.

Aluminum part that I sanded for paint grab and cleaned with denatured alcohol.

I've tried a lot of paint techniques ranging from professional 2 part coatings, different primers etc but wanted something good for occasional use that I could get in a can.

(1) been priming with epoxy paint, let dry well and lightly sand to get smooth) (2) 2nd coat, texture black

Ok, if you let dry for 30 days but here's what I recently did --

added another top coat of rustoleum ultra high temp black and baked in 250 oven for a few hours.

wow -- instant durability. (in a can, no less).

anyone else?

Reply to
mkr5000

I've not tried this on aluminum, but how about letting the first coat of epoxy paint cure until it is set but still a little tacky, and then spray on the rustoleum. Should flow and look smooth, and should bind well to the not-quite-cured epoxy. That's what the instructions for POR-15 epoxy paint say to do - either let it fully cure, then lightly rough up with sandpaper, then overpaint, or overpaint while still slightly tacky.

Just want to confirm some results -- wondering if anyone can back me up on this.

Aluminum part that I sanded for paint grab and cleaned with denatured alcohol.

I've tried a lot of paint techniques ranging from professional 2 part coatings, different primers etc but wanted something good for occasional use that I could get in a can.

(1) been priming with epoxy paint, let dry well and lightly sand to get smooth) (2) 2nd coat, texture black

Ok, if you let dry for 30 days but here's what I recently did --

added another top coat of rustoleum ultra high temp black and baked in 250 oven for a few hours.

wow -- instant durability. (in a can, no less).

anyone else?

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Hating long paint-curing times, I love the instant durability aspect, Mike.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Carl --

actually I just recently tried that and it works even better than waiting for the epoxy primer to dry.

been spraying the epoxy primer, waiting about 15 minutes then doing a real nice spray pattern with the texture paint. having the texture binding with the epoxy made a difference.

but I must say, the real winner is the high heat paint and then the oven. better than a clear coat and I suppose I could just bypass the texture and go to the high heat if I wanted a smooth finish.

the high heat (rustoleum ultra) will keep i from fingernail scratches within hours, compared to letting the paint cure for 30 days or more. at least, that's what I'm getting.

Reply to
mkr5000

tings, different primers etc but wanted something good for occasional use t hat I could get in a can.

0 oven for a few hours.

I used to do motorcycle engines by preheating them (sometimes just sitting

Krylon flat black, then returning to the heat for a couple of hours. Those paint jobs were practically indestructible.

Reply to
rangerssuck