Yellow Paint

Can anyone recommend a yellow model paint that will give coverage on one brush coat? I have tried Hymbrol enamel and Tamiya acrylic and both give piss-poor coverage and need at least two coats. Yellow is the only colour I have this issue with.

Thanks

Reply to
Stadia

I once made the same search. Paints are produced using the pigments available to the producer. Different pigments have differnet characteristics, and of course the quality that matters most is color. The ability to provide coverage is a different matter. Yellows in general tend to povide poor coverage - one of the reasons I tend to avoid things with large yellow areas. You can look up coverage versus pigment is artist handbooks. When I do need yellow I tend to airbrush coats of Floquil - as the final like aircraft markings - or as a base coat on a figure - then oils or acrylics can ve used to shade or highlight - after letting the base dry for a week or so.

Val Kraut.

Reply to
Val Kraut

Red isn't much better. For both I've noticed that the flat verson seems to cover better than the gloss. After the model is finished, I would Clear Coat it anyway to seal decals and paint jobs, so.....

Reply to
The Old Man

Thanks, this for items like spinners and Japanese leading edge strips where an airbrush would take too long to setup to be worth while. Next model may be a P-26 and given the large yellow areas the airbrush will then come into it's own. I guess that yellow is the same in all applications then, remembering the poor yellow coverage in photocopiers

T>I once made the same search. Paints are produced using the pigments

Reply to
Stadia

Strangely I don't have the problem with Tamiya red enamel. Have not tried red acrylic yet. The other thing I have noticed with yellow enamel is that is seems to be the slowest drying colour with a spinner sometimes taking 3 or 4 days to go off tacky.

Tony Chch NZ

Reply to
Stadia

i use a white gloss for a primer cover. than flat yellow goes on in 2 thin coats.

Reply to
someone

Thanks, will try that next time - just done a spinner for an Israeli Spit Mk IXE

Reply to
Stadia

lmk how it goes, ok?

Reply to
someone

Stadia wrote: : Can anyone recommend a yellow model paint that will give coverage on : one brush coat? : I don't think such a beast exists. Yellow is by far the worst color for coverage. White primer is a good start, as was mentioned.

I have not tried cadmium yellow artists oils. But Poly Scale, Tamiya acrylic, yellow wall paint - they all fail the coverage test.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Coverage with problem colors is one of the reasons I use primer. The other two are prevention of fisheyes, and a better ability to see surface flaws on a primed vs raw plastic surface.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Did a couple of tests on small parts for future builds and it worked perfectly. Many thanks Also found that the yellow enamel dries hard in about 3 hours if blutacked to a bit of sprue and placed on the heatpump exit vane with more blutack. No dust as it is filtered air and not hot enough to warp.

Tony

Reply to
Stadia

all thanks go to the much missed al s. he taught me that trick. glad to pass it along.

Reply to
someone

Artists tube acrylics (Liquitex, Golden) (red, yellow and primary colors) are best for brush painting. They won't run as the gel is thick and will provide sharp edges. It needs only a single coat and it dries into a tight skin.

If hobby acrylics are what you are forced to use first spray an undercoat of black or silver.

Reply to
PaPa Peng