What paint for machinery?

My belt grinder keeps rusting (too close to pacific ocean). It's just bare unprotected metal and I am going to paint it. Can any one recommend a good tough paint for machinery?

Thanks

Reply to
Alex

"Alex" wrote: Can any one recommend a good tough paint for machinery? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If you are talking about a paint that will stand hard use, I would suggest something like a porch and floor enamel. If you just want to protect it from rusting, then a couple of coats of almost anything. The reason for two coats is that the second coat will cover any pinholes that happen to remain in the first coat.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I need protection from hard use not just rust.

Reply to
Alex

What is a portch and floor enamel?

Reply to
Alex

Reply to
RoyJ

Use the epoxy floor paint, the 2 part from Ben Moore only comes in 2 gallon sets, so the single part ben moore is the next best. Unless you want to paint the floor too. Surface prep is the key to both surfaces.

Reply to
yourname

"Alex" wrote: What is a portch and floor enamel? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It is the type of paint that is used to paint surfaces that you walk on. It has excellent abrasion resistance.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I'm in the process of preping my Hardinge lathe for paint as we speak. I did a lot of research and decided to use Sherwin-Williams Tile Clad, a water based two part epoxy with no isocyanates.

Tile Clad is used often as a garage floor coating. Sherwin-Williams says it's a " VOC compliant, two-package, epoxy-polyamide coating for use in industrial maintenance environments and high performance architectural applications. Chemical resistant - Dry film resists bacterial attack - Abrasion resistant - Low VOC."

Comes in grey and they can also tint it.

My local Sherwin-Williams store carries it. Not cheap - $45 per gallon and you need a gallon of part A and a gallon of part B. Mix only what you will use at the time - can't save it after it is mixed. I'm going to apply it with a 3" roller and small brush - no spray, no mess.

Ed Ferg

Reply to
edferg

When I use to work for an industrial paint shop all of the new equipment was painted with Amerlock 400 (Elephant gum) two component paint, and anything rusty in the field was painted with DTR "Direct to Rust" paint. All of the stuff in my shop needing paint gets Amerlock 400.

Reply to
HotRod

Sounds the same as the ben moore. It is really tough stuff

Reply to
yourname

$90 for painting grinder is a little too much. Can I get similar products in smaller quantities anywhere?

Thanks

Reply to
Alex

Amerlock 400 must be a great stuff but it come only in 2 or 5 gallons. Way too much for me.

Reply to
Alex

I like DuraClad (urethane fortified enamel) that Duron sells. One part, goes on nicely, available in quart sizes and when I took in my South Bend steady rest they were able to match the color exactly.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:33:05 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo Lichtman" quickly quoth:

I bought some nice alkyd enamel for Dina (my 1920 tablesaurus) when I painted and somewhat refurbed her. Home Depot, $7/qt.

--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Friens: Using a good quality playtex enamal on the machined sirfacesw will keep them from rusting farther. I mix paints for zollotone kind finish on my showroom machine. some har pinstriped with the brush too. Hope this helps. I'm preparing a how to do video on machinery rebuilting an drefrubeshments. Pauinting is an atrt unto itself. I know what I'm say to you. Don't be stupid like some and not listening. Thank you. A Babin & Sons ISO 9000 certifiabed job shop. Rebuiding and refreshment of machine tools. Custom pool cue a and ciovers to keep the leaves out. K-MAtr CASGIER #!@ for the hOloOlIdays.

Reply to
Honest A Babin