nova

i finally have the chance to record my favorite show's take on the sinking of the yamato. i believe i have seen every single nova but somehow i missed recording this one. too bad the first 4 seasons are almost impossible to get. the few for sale are really pricey. i would really like to have the one on the gossamer condor or gossamer albatross. i mix that up. also wish i had the one about the voyagers.

Reply to
someone

It was the Gossamer Condor. I'm suprised that I remember watching it way back when. Did you see this? $39.95 but you get $5 off if you type "Oshkosh" in the coupon blank.

eyeball

you probably remember because it was an amazing program. i think i remember gossamer albatross was the prototype? the channel crossing blew me away. there were times when he must have had mm clearance. i wonder what updated materials could produce? wgbh is puzzling. a nova greatest hits show seems like a no brainer. they rerun the shit out of this old victory garden.

Reply to
someone

The Albatros that made the channel crossing is at Udvar Hazy. I probably have a pic around here somewhere, from my trip there in June. Victory garden hasn't been on around here in at least 5-10 years. My Father loved that show. All they show in my area are New Yankee Workshop and rerun that damn doo-wop special over and over. Do you ever see Secrets of the Dead? It's not about aviation, at least none of the ones so far, but it's a damn interesting show. I miss all those how-to painting shows they had back in the 80s. They even had one on modeling for a while.

Reply to
eyeball

it's just a happy little flower. then take your brush and make a squiggle, see that's an albatross you'e painted? that's a happy vulture. now a lttle more green to make a barf pile..... they rerun all that here. except the art.

Reply to
someone

Bob Ross was so nerdy he was cool. I heard he was ex-USAF so he couldn't have been all bad. He used to tell a story about giving a demo in public. In between paintings he went to the bathroom but didn't know his mic was live and everyone there got a concert lol But I was thinking of that older German man with the thick accent. I can't think of his name but I used to work on models while watching his show every saturday. I wish I was half as talented as them. They were hacks but they could turn out a decent painting in no time and make money off that.

Reply to
eyeball

i wasn't slagging mr ross. but he did crack me up. i also modeled while watching. couldn't paint when he was on. i had forgotten the german guy. he was cool too. hack is a bit harsh. they may not have had the soul, for want of a better word, that the master's had, but they were good at sharing the technicals. so they could show you how, while the greatness was yours to find. i share your wish.

Reply to
someone

There was a Nova episode titled "The Light Stuff" about the Daedalus man-powered flight between the Greek islands circa 1989.

Other episodes I'd want: The early one of the Bermuda Triangle The early one about Werner Von Braun and the German missile program The NASA/Space Race 25th Anniversary program "It's About Time" with Dudley Moore "The KGB, The Computer and Me!" about a spy scandal and the budding Internet (I home-taped this one)

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922

Stephen Bierce

i would be happy to see the first 5 seasons all over. it seems that there isn't quite as much hard science now. and those were the ones i liked best. i'm not saying they've dumbed down so much as perhaps main streamed the series a bit. i do confess to liking really detailed, intricate and finisky stuff. in written history, i really like obscure incidents explained in great detail.

1000 page books are just fine.
Reply to
someone

Ditto to all that, although I think I'd like about the first 10 seasons.

Reply to
eyeball