Looking For Web Site Archiving Software

A few months ago, Gunner (I think) mentioned a program he used to capture & archive web sites. I downloaded it & used it, but a recent hard drive meltdown has resulted in the loss of the program, and an ongoing brain meltdown has resulted in the loss of the memory of what the program was called.

So, anybody care to enlighten me about that?

TIA, Joe

Reply to
Joe

Depending on just what you're doing, and just what OS you're using.... I scoop websites with 'wget', and I maintain a website using 'sitecopy'. These are both under Linux; I would expect MacOS and other Unix variants to have them; no idea about Windows.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

OK, I should have mentioned that I'm running Windoze. I'm currently trying Ubuntu as a secondary in a dual-boot, but I can't get my printer to work with it.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

What kind of printer is that?

Wget is a decent archiver. But be careful as to what websites you archive, and try to not archive anything that looks like it is database driven or generated by scripts.

You can get into a infinite downloading loop and waste a lot of website owner's bandwidth for no good reason.

I have such a site algebra.com, and always had problems with people trying to download it, not realizing how huge it is.

Ignoramus2981

It's a Brother HL-1440 (IIRC) laser printer. I went through a process described on a Ubuntu forum, and the system tells me the printer is installed. When I go to print, the printer warms up, and the Data LED lights up, but nothing prints, and no paper is output, either.

Anyway, I'm trying to find the Win program that Gunner mentioned a few months ago (or equivalent). I haven't had any luck yet with a GGroups search. I guess I need to try harder.

If I get my printer to work with Linux, I'll try Wget.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Haven't used it myself yet.

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

Thanks, that's the one! I liked it pretty well, but you have to be careful how deeply you go. Some sites had front end pages that linked to too much other stuff, while the articles I was interested in were nested kinda deep. Anyway, it's the only one I have used.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

There is a Windows version of wget, I have it on this machine; it's available from here:

(same location as the Linux version, just look for the Win32 binaries).

Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

WinHTTrack

Gunner, back from So. Ca.

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You do realize that if you don't post for a few days that people think you're trying to die again.

Reply to
Buerste

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 20:52:23 -0400, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

Yeah, and we're all wondering "What color _this_ time?"

------------------------------------------------------ No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat. ----------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If we outlive Gunner we should agree to decorate him for the afterlife, He'd like that! Especiallly with our taste in decor.

Reply to
Buerste

Where's Buffy when you need her...

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 03:32:56 -0400, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

Hah! You expect him to voluntarily let loose the lithe and lively living legend lesbien laminator on his corpse?

Well, you could ask. ;)

------------------------------------------------------ No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat. ----------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Of course. Hope springs eternal for the Leftist.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Volunteer? Hell, he'll be dead, what's he gonna' do? Haunt us?

Reply to
Buerste

Actually..Im doing pretty good. The ol bod is functioning better than it has in a number of years. I couldnt have sex...one of my meds was inhibiting erection..but Friday I discussed it with the doctor...he seemed to think it was a calcium blocker thats only a "maybe helpful" and I stopped taking it as an experiment. Last night I nailed the ol lady for a half hour before she passed out. Still not back to full size..but it was big enough to do the job.

Im a bit concerned about having some black toenails though. Both right and left feet ...the big toes have black smudges under the nails. Doctor says not to worry about them..but keep an eye on them.

Still occasionally need to take a nap after a hard day...which can last for 3 hours. But...shrug...Im not stressing over it. Its not like Ive got a lot of work these days.....

[...]

How ... cruel. To toy with their emotions like that.

As a friend of mine says "You are a vile despicable human being of low morals. Will you be my friend?" (You miss the impact of the vocal inflections, but ...)

lol

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:46:00 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I spent a half hour or so with that. What fun. Hoover down a massive web site over the DSL line, take machine home and review the site without waiting for Dialup. Thanks.

OTOH, "Thanks, man. Now I've got hours of reading on Orthodoxy to distract me from 'real life'." Hmm, am I complaining or bragging?

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich