Ubuntu Live CD

Ive been playing around with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux, via their Live CD.
Fuck me running but its good.
I simply stuck in the live cd which I downloaded the ISO file from
www.ubuntu.org, and rebooted my old utility box. A 700 meg P3 (coppermine) box with a couple hds and 256meg memory and a small 15" HP monitor.
It found my USR 56k external modem, it found my network card, and it easily allowed me to stick my other networked computers on the desktop so I can access them easily with a single click.
It comes with a very decent assortment of programs of all sorts, the GUI is pretty intuitive and easily run.
I also tried this on 3 different boxes, incluiding a 250 meg Compaq laptop. With a single exception..Ubuntu configured itself easily very litte intervention from me. The single exception was with a FrankenPC with multipile harddrives, and multiple CD roms, and DVD players. It hung up on the CD probe at 92%..no matter what I did.
Next week, Ill download the full install version and install it here on my linux box, which is running Mepis at the moment, which, up until I discovered Ubuntu..was the best quick and dirty version Id found to date.
If you want to dabble with Linux....try the Ubuntu LIVE CD. It will NOT harm any of your existing system files, and you simply turn the computer off..remove the cd..and reboot to be back in your old operating system.
There are versions on the Ubuntu website for just about any machine archetecture, from 386s to Macs to Sun workstations.
Good shit Maynard!!
Gunner, Posting with Pan newsreader via Ubuntu
Gunner wrote:

Sounds great.
I tried downloading an ISO the other day. Got almost all of it down, and it vanished from the thumb drive I was loading it to. ARGH!
3 hours- POOF!
Did I mention ARGH?
I'll stick to buying them from Edmund's, when I can. It's easier on the neighbors' nerves.

I downloaded the ubuntu Live iso and tried it just now. Not bad. For internet I had to kick-start my ethernet card myself (strange), and when I tried some video capture the preview frame was in black and white (scoff). I liked it's simplicity though. Less cluttered and clearer layout than knoppix and I installed a couple of extra programs from the CD which I've never been able to do before with linux, which proves it is more user friendly. Dissappointing that it couldn't work with my TV card tho, and it also didn't find my firewire port.. Audio CD's also played really slow and the sound was poor. I could probably sort these things out if I could be bothered but I can't. I'm a well trained windows puppy.

Just figured out how to boot from the Koppix download (iso) file (used Nero to create the boot CD). My thanks to those who helped me with that. My primary purpose was to play around with Linux a bit (first look) and to use the partition program that comes with Koppix to resize/remove partitions on the C drive (which worked! although for some reason the drives (CD and 2nd physical HD) after the removed "D" partition have kept their "E" and "F" designations in Windows.
As to Koppix functionality, my brief look has shown that the audio card doesn't work properly (sound volume very low and distorted) and it won't drive the monitor at 800x600. Still however pretty interesting...
Laurie Forbes
Gunner wrote:

Gunner, try www.ubuntu.com instead of dot org
It is pretty good, at least on a par with knoppix and definitely better in some aspects.
--
Fred R
________________

==========================Knoppix incident. FWIW: I am in the process of upgrading my operating system. Installed W2K in place of W98 [I try to always stay one version back].
Things seemed to be going well and I all had service packs / patches downloaded/installed using a t1 I have access to, and was loading the last of the software/drivers at home when the machine locked up. Could not boot, even in the safe mode. Use Knoppix on cd to see what was wrong. ==>Everything was going well when my big monitor gave a loud pop, and died.<== Knoppix was running in the default hi-res mode. ==>I don't know if there was a connection or not.< Used the smaller back-up monitor and got the box open. Never was able to see anything wrong. Eventually had to install second W2k system on the other hard drive, and boot off it. Ran some utilities and discovered that *ALL* files on the c: drive were non-contigious. Never seen that before. Ran defrag and display looked like a fine tooth comb (with hair stuck in it). Even after a defrag the c: drive would not boot. Eventually had to do a complete format and reinstall to get things working. Got to haul the box back over to the t1 connection [only 28.8 at home, less when it rains] and reinstall the M/S service packs and patches. Also had to update my compiler to work in the console [was the dos box].
Uncle George

shoulda made a backup before trying the knoppix.
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:10:00 -0000, "tg"

How?

heard of norton ghost? it can backup your whole drive. I use it a lot and I assure you, it backs up EVERYTHING. I don't like symantec but their norton ghost program is an exception. You can back up to image file, restore the whole drive from that same image, or clone one hard drive to another. Can't be without it.
I've been using Ubuntu for more than a year now. It is very good. I don't understand how the folks at Ubuntu can afford to give away such a beautiful product absolutely free. I ordered 50 copies of Ubuntu via the internet. The product arrived absolutely free. Even the shipping was absolutely free. I have been sharing this operating system with everyone that I know. I regularly drop off some of these CDs at the local library for other folks to enjoy. Ubuntu comes with a much faster PDF reader, a very good Photoshop program called the GIMP, a free web browser, a complete Office package, database, spreadsheet, word, you name it, it's all there. The games section is pretty good also. It has a complete administrator tools section. This OS is one of the best I have ever seen and it is absolutely free. I connect my Nikon camera to it and a slideshow browser starts up immediately. I used to hate Linux because it was so hard to configure but with Ubuntu the installation was painless. It detected every bit of my brand new computer and all of the peripherals. When I install Windows XP, I usually have to installed mother board drivers, video drivers, network drivers, etc, etc, etc. When I install Ubuntu, it detects everything. Ubuntu has a new release every six months, just to keep up with the drivers for new equipment coming into the marketplace. And they do it all absolutely free. I think that Bill Gates should be very nervous about a company that does this on a global scale. Once the word is out, things will change. --------------------------------------- Gunner Jan 21, 8:41 pm
[...]
Buy_Sell wrote:

http://www.canonical.com/sitemap
As far as I got. There's money behind it, somewhere.
Dictators derive a good part of their power from the control of information. Ubuntu is a threat to that.
We will have to see what happens next.
I suppose that could be true of any operating system. But you would have to go on the internet in order for people to track your information. What if you did all of your personal and business computing offline? Then it would be pretty hard to control information. With the billions of people using the internet each day, I'm wondering how many people it takes to process all of this information? Computers are great at sorting out data but when it gets right down to it, people still have to search thru it all and make sense of what information is relevant. I don't see Ubuntu as a threat at all. If anything, the internet would be the biggest threat because it is how the information is being transported. As for the money behind giving out Ubuntu for free including free shipping, I still don't have an answer to that one. It baffles me as to why they would do that. The entire Linux project was started with the objective of making a free operating system for mankind. Ubuntu happens to be the best version that I have seen. -------------------------------------- Offbreed Jan 21, 9:35 pm
Buy_Sell wrote:

http://www.canonical.com/sitemap
As far as I got. There's money behind it, somewhere.
Dictators derive a good part of their power from the control of information. Ubuntu is a threat to that.
We will have to see what happens next.
Buy_Sell wrote:

You have my point exactly backwards. The internet is a grave threat to dictators, and a possible threat to the aristocracy (or whatever you want to call it) running Europe, and Ubuntu, along with cheap, surplus computers, opens the net to thousands who would not otherwise be able to get on line.
Those thousands have active minds, or they would not be getting on line, they will read things from over seas and discuss what they read with their friends and families. They will think. They will compare what they read with life around them. Worse yet, they will network with others in their own countries and decide that something needs changing.
Gunner wrote: > Ive been playing around with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux, via their > Live CD. > > Fuck me running but its good. > > There are versions on the Ubuntu website for just about any machine > archetecture, from 386s to Macs to Sun workstations. > > Good shit Maynard!! > > Gunner, Posting with Pan newsreader via Ubuntu
http://www.win4lin.com/
Ok gunnie, I ordered your commie Operating System CD.
But I still need my CAD, C++, QB tools.
So...
Win4Lin        the 9x version
Richard
Any free kitten is gonna cost...
Richard Lamb wrote:

CAD: Qcad or 7 others(some free!)
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue54/frost.html
C++: free linux compiler for C++ (from Intel)
http://www.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/compilers/clin/219856.htm
QB: ya got me on that one. If you mean Quick Basic, lots of commands are the same as XBasic. If you mean Quick Books, try appgen at http://t2100cdt.kippona.net/linux/appgen /
Better yet, give up C++ and Quick Basic in favor of perl/python. (My WinXP at work came with windows-version python pre-installed)
technomaNge
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:02:26 -0600, technomaNge
<snip>

<snip> Assuming you mean quick basic, take a look at PowerBasic at http://www.powerbasic.com/products/compiler.asp
As part of my system upgrade [w98 to w2k], I discovered that the Quick Basic is no longer totally compatible with the newer versions of Windows. I upgraded to Power Basics CC [Console Compiler] (console being the new name for dos box). Seems to be pretty bullet proof and is an update of Borland's TurboBasic. I was able to recompile the QB programs I tried using PB with minimal changes [mainly const keyword not supported except in macros].
On their website Power Basic indicates they have a Linix version in the works which is due RSN.
PB charges for printed documentation [which is included as pdf on their distribution disk] but this appears to be worth the additional price. I still miss the loose-leaf binders that used to come with the software....
They also sell cool PowerBasic t-shirts.
Uncle George
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 06:19:29 GMT, Richard Lamb
snip

Google 'wine linux'.
If I'm reading them right, it runs Windoze applicaitions in Linux.

-- W§ mostly in m.s - http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira
Winston Smith wrote:

As it turns out, Win4 allows win apps to run Concurrently with Linux, not under it...
Richard
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 02:45:56 GMT, Richard Lamb

That's fine if you want Windows anyway/too. Wine claims to let you run Win applications without even having Windows on the machine. One operating system, free of cost, and at less virus risk is appealing to me. YMMV. I haven't tried it yet so I'm only going by what their page says.
http://winehq.com / "Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit for porting Windows source code to Unix as well as a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows programs to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris."
-- W§ mostly in m.s - http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira
Winston Smith wrote:

Thanks, Winston.
That's more like what I had in mind.