Ubuntu Live CD

Sounds great.

I tried downloading an ISO the other day. Got almost all of it down, and it vanished from the thumb drive I was loading it to. ARGH!

3 hours- POOF!

Did I mention ARGH?

I'll stick to buying them from Edmund's, when I can. It's easier on the neighbors' nerves.

Reply to
Offbreed

Ive been playing around with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux, via their Live CD.

Fuck me running but its good.

I simply stuck in the live cd which I downloaded the ISO file from

and rebooted my old utility box. A 700 meg P3 (coppermine) box with a couple hds and 256meg memory and a small 15" HP monitor.

It found my USR 56k external modem, it found my network card, and it easily allowed me to stick my other networked computers on the desktop so I can access them easily with a single click.

It comes with a very decent assortment of programs of all sorts, the GUI is pretty intuitive and easily run.

I also tried this on 3 different boxes, incluiding a 250 meg Compaq laptop. With a single exception..Ubuntu configured itself easily very litte intervention from me. The single exception was with a FrankenPC with multipile harddrives, and multiple CD roms, and DVD players. It hung up on the CD probe at 92%..no matter what I did.

Next week, Ill download the full install version and install it here on my linux box, which is running Mepis at the moment, which, up until I discovered Ubuntu..was the best quick and dirty version Id found to date.

If you want to dabble with Linux....try the Ubuntu LIVE CD. It will NOT harm any of your existing system files, and you simply turn the computer off..remove the cd..and reboot to be back in your old operating system.

There are versions on the Ubuntu website for just about any machine archetecture, from 386s to Macs to Sun workstations.

Good shit Maynard!!

Gunner, Posting with Pan newsreader via Ubuntu

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner, try

instead of dot org

It is pretty good, at least on a par with knoppix and definitely better in some aspects.

Reply to
Fred R

As far as I got. There's money behind it, somewhere.

Dictators derive a good part of their power from the control of information. Ubuntu is a threat to that.

We will have to see what happens next.

Reply to
Offbreed

I've been using Ubuntu for more than a year now. It is very good. I don't understand how the folks at Ubuntu can afford to give away such a beautiful product absolutely free. I ordered 50 copies of Ubuntu via the internet. The product arrived absolutely free. Even the shipping was absolutely free. I have been sharing this operating system with everyone that I know. I regularly drop off some of these CDs at the local library for other folks to enjoy. Ubuntu comes with a much faster PDF reader, a very good Photoshop program called the GIMP, a free web browser, a complete Office package, database, spreadsheet, word, you name it, it's all there. The games section is pretty good also. It has a complete administrator tools section. This OS is one of the best I have ever seen and it is absolutely free. I connect my Nikon camera to it and a slideshow browser starts up immediately. I used to hate Linux because it was so hard to configure but with Ubuntu the installation was painless. It detected every bit of my brand new computer and all of the peripherals. When I install Windows XP, I usually have to installed mother board drivers, video drivers, network drivers, etc, etc, etc. When I install Ubuntu, it detects everything. Ubuntu has a new release every six months, just to keep up with the drivers for new equipment coming into the marketplace. And they do it all absolutely free. I think that Bill Gates should be very nervous about a company that does this on a global scale. Once the word is out, things will change.

--------------------------------------- Gunner Jan 21, 8:41 pm

[...]

Buy_Sell

Gunner wrote: > Ive been playing around with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux, via their > Live CD. >

Ok gunnie, I ordered your commie Operating System CD.

But I still need my CAD, C++, QB tools.

So...

Win4Lin the 9x version

Richard

Any free kitten is gonna cost...

Reply to
Richard Lamb

I suppose that could be true of any operating system. But you would have to go on the internet in order for people to track your information. What if you did all of your personal and business computing offline? Then it would be pretty hard to control information. With the billions of people using the internet each day, I'm wondering how many people it takes to process all of this information? Computers are great at sorting out data but when it gets right down to it, people still have to search thru it all and make sense of what information is relevant. I don't see Ubuntu as a threat at all. If anything, the internet would be the biggest threat because it is how the information is being transported. As for the money behind giving out Ubuntu for free including free shipping, I still don't have an answer to that one. It baffles me as to why they would do that. The entire Linux project was started with the objective of making a free operating system for mankind. Ubuntu happens to be the best version that I have seen.

-------------------------------------- Offbreed Jan 21, 9:35 pm

Buy_Sell wrote:

As far as I got. There's money behind it, somewhere.

Dictators derive a good part of their power from the control of information. Ubuntu is a threat to that.

We will have to see what happens next.

Reply to
Buy_Sell

You've convinced me Gunner, you sweet talkin' old bastard!

I've ordered a CD.

Reply to
Tom Miller

You have my point exactly backwards. The internet is a grave threat to dictators, and a possible threat to the aristocracy (or whatever you want to call it) running Europe, and Ubuntu, along with cheap, surplus computers, opens the net to thousands who would not otherwise be able to get on line.

Those thousands have active minds, or they would not be getting on line, they will read things from over seas and discuss what they read with their friends and families. They will think. They will compare what they read with life around them. Worse yet, they will network with others in their own countries and decide that something needs changing.

Reply to
Offbreed

=========================== Knoppix incident. FWIW: I am in the process of upgrading my operating system. Installed W2K in place of W98 [I try to always stay one version back].

Things seemed to be going well and I all had service packs / patches downloaded/installed using a t1 I have access to, and was loading the last of the software/drivers at home when the machine locked up. Could not boot, even in the safe mode. Use Knoppix on cd to see what was wrong. ==>Everything was going well when my big monitor gave a loud pop, and died.I don't know if there was a connection or not.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

CAD: Qcad or 7 others(some free!)

C++: free linux compiler for C++ (from Intel)

QB: ya got me on that one. If you mean Quick Basic, lots of commands are the same as XBasic. If you mean Quick Books, try appgen at
Better yet, give up C++ and Quick Basic in favor of perl/python. (My WinXP at work came with windows-version python pre-installed)

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Assuming you mean quick basic, take a look at PowerBasic at

As part of my system upgrade [w98 to w2k], I discovered that the Quick Basic is no longer totally compatible with the newer versions of Windows. I upgraded to Power Basics CC [Console Compiler] (console being the new name for dos box). Seems to be pretty bullet proof and is an update of Borland's TurboBasic. I was able to recompile the QB programs I tried using PB with minimal changes [mainly const keyword not supported except in macros].

On their website Power Basic indicates they have a Linix version in the works which is due RSN.

PB charges for printed documentation [which is included as pdf on their distribution disk] but this appears to be worth the additional price. I still miss the loose-leaf binders that used to come with the software....

They also sell cool PowerBasic t-shirts.

Uncle George

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

2.88 Mb of a CD is readable without a CD driver, and that is used for the first of the boot up part. It needs to have the right driver for your CD drive so the rest can be read.

I just went back over what you wrote and something puzzles me. If you boot up Windows and look at the CD, do you see an "iso" file? If you can, then someone goofed. An "iso" sort of an archive and the process of burning a CD should involve opening it and copying to a CD.

"My computer won't boot from the cd. What do I do?

Make sure your system bios is set to boot from the cdrom _before_ booting from the hard drive. There are too many system variables for me to tell you how to enable this setting. Check your computer documentation or try searching Google. During the boot, watch your monitor for wording that indicates the system is trying to access the cd drive. If it is trying to access the cd but still won't boot, make a boot floppy using the cd. From whatever OS you are using, view the cd and look for README files or an Images or Disk directory. There should be instructions on how to create and use a boot floppy when the cd won't boot.

Why do I see one large .iso file on my burned cd instead of files and directories?

This happens when you copy the downloaded .iso file to a cd instead of burning it as a disk image. Some software will automatically recognize a .iso file and burn it correctly. Some software requires a specific menu selection such as 'Create CD From Disc Image', 'Burn Image', or something similar. Instructions for several burning programs can be found here."

"here" being:

Offbreed

Would appreciate it if someone could tell me why my computer (an older clone with Asus A7V mother board) will not boot from an ISO CD file?? I've tried several Linux OSs including Knoppix - it appears to read the CD but then ignores it and goes on to boot Windows from the hard drive. BTW, I can boot a DOS CD with no problems. If I configure the BIOS to boot from the CD only, all I get with an ISO CD file is an Invalid System Disk message or somesuch.

I suspect this might have something to do with the BIOS which may not recognize ISO files (??).

Any help welcomed .........

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes

OK Gunner, I sent for a cd. If there's a virus or worse on it I'm going to be extremely pissed.

73 Gary
Reply to
Gary

I'm giving it a go too. I registered with the site just to see if they were really giving these CDs away...including shipping. They are. Although I didn't get greedy...I only ordered their PC 5-pack. Mike

Reply to
mj

shoulda made a backup before trying the knoppix.

Reply to
tg

On 22 Jan 2006 11:02:54 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "mj" quickly quoth:

Ditto here. They came in late last week. My regular work PC is acting up (dual bios, can't find either during some bootups) so I haven't played with a copy yet.

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals - --------------------------------------------------------

Web App & Database Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

NOTHING will boot from an ISO file. It must be written to CD in the proper format. Think of an ISO file as a big assed zip file (not true.but holds for the analogy)

you load a disk burning program, and have it convert the ISO file to a bootable disk. Or copy the ISO file to your hard drive and burn from it.

ISO files have no readily machine recognizable boot structure..so it has to be "unzipped" into the proper directories, boot files and so forth.

Gunner

Gunner

They are a class act, for a bunch of group huggers. One of the nice things about Linux..windows viri dont bother it much. I intentionally opened some of my copious virus laden emails using a Linux email program...nada. No effect. I ran Aegis antivirus on them..and they were chock full of virus's..but only written to effect windows machines.

Now if they only did the same with spam....sigh

Gunner

Gunner