Ubuntu Live CD

I've done that (set to boot from CD first, and, set to boot from CD only). As I mentioned, it reads the CD but passes on it.

All I have is the ISO file - the Knoppix site says if you can't boot from CD, make a floppy boot disk using Knoppix on *another* computer (which I don't have).

Ah, I think this is my problem - my CD burn program (HT Fireman) does not let you specify Burn Image (or equivalent) so all I wind up with is the ISO file on the CD (if I understand it correctly now). I guess I need a burner program that accommodates that.

I'll look here and see what happens. Thanks mucho.....

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes

How?

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

heard of norton ghost? it can backup your whole drive. I use it a lot and I assure you, it backs up EVERYTHING. I don't like symantec but their norton ghost program is an exception. You can back up to image file, restore the whole drive from that same image, or clone one hard drive to another. Can't be without it.

Reply to
tg

I downloaded the ubuntu Live iso and tried it just now. Not bad. For internet I had to kick-start my ethernet card myself (strange), and when I tried some video capture the preview frame was in black and white (scoff). I liked it's simplicity though. Less cluttered and clearer layout than knoppix and I installed a couple of extra programs from the CD which I've never been able to do before with linux, which proves it is more user friendly. Dissappointing that it couldn't work with my TV card tho, and it also didn't find my firewire port.. Audio CD's also played really slow and the sound was poor. I could probably sort these things out if I could be bothered but I can't. I'm a well trained windows puppy.

Reply to
tg

What do you use to burn your .iso's? Nero? Alcohol 120? I may be assuming - if so, I apologize, but you can't just copy an ISO to CD, you feed it to a burning program, ususally with the "burn image" command.

CC

Reply to
CC

for some reason it crashes my dsl modem and only pushing its reset button and booting to windoes makes it work again. every time i boot the cd the modem crashes

also it sees my raid0 as 2 seprate drives so i cannot access any of my info.

Reply to
erik litchy

Just figured out how to boot from the Koppix download (iso) file (used Nero to create the boot CD). My thanks to those who helped me with that. My primary purpose was to play around with Linux a bit (first look) and to use the partition program that comes with Koppix to resize/remove partitions on the C drive (which worked! although for some reason the drives (CD and 2nd physical HD) after the removed "D" partition have kept their "E" and "F" designations in Windows.

As to Koppix functionality, my brief look has shown that the audio card doesn't work properly (sound volume very low and distorted) and it won't drive the monitor at 800x600. Still however pretty interesting...

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes

Correct an if you don't know how...

Google can be your friend. A "burn iso image" search will give you all the information you need and probably for your software.

If you would like an XP that runs from a CD try searching reatogo. It is great when you OS has a problem and you need to copy files or fix stuff.

Reply to
Unknown

Nice, innit?

Glad to have helped ;)

Reply to
Dave Hinz

snip

Google 'wine linux'.

If I'm reading them right, it runs Windoze applicaitions in Linux.

-- W§ mostly in m.s -

Winston Smith

As it turns out, Win4 allows win apps to run Concurrently with Linux, not under it...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Lamb

That's fine if you want Windows anyway/too. Wine claims to let you run Win applications without even having Windows on the machine. One operating system, free of cost, and at less virus risk is appealing to me. YMMV. I haven't tried it yet so I'm only going by what their page says.

"Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit for porting Windows source code to Unix as well as a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows programs to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris."

-- W§ mostly in m.s -

Winston Smith

Thanks, Winston.

That's more like what I had in mind.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Lamb

Or "win4lin"..though I dont think its free. It is supposed to work pretty well

Gunner

Gunner

It's Christmas in February!

The Ubuntu CD arrived today.

I dropped the Ubuntu Live CD in the drive and - low and behold - It Works!

I'll have some serious playing-with-it-time before I really know what I'm doing, but my first impression is "So Long, Mr. Gates!"

Gunner (if you are still with us), Thanks Bud!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Lamb

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message news:nj4Jf.19486$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

I'll now have to see if I can find a driver to suit my old Roland Plotter.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:24:03 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Richard Lamb quickly quoth:

Mine came last month.

Same here; it looks quite interesting. But I can't abandon my Adobe apps just yet so I'm stuck with at least one box carrying Vinders for awhile.

Why don't you like Unca Bill?

ljaques

Mine won't pick up my U.S. Robotics modem. Doesn't load the comm drivers and has no dialer for my dial up connection. Rig is a Pentium

4, 1.4 meghz, 256 megs of fast ram, 30 gig HD running XP Hone edition. It gets my Turtle Beach sound card, my video card, both the DVD RW and the CD RW, even my card reader on the ISB for my camera. You'd think the modem was common enough to be recognized. 73 Gary

Gary Pewitt N9ZSV Sturgeon's Law "Ninety per cent of everything is crap"

Reply to
Gary Pewitt

snipped my ravings...

Hard to put into words...

I guess that means it's mostly emotional rather than logical.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Lamb

There are two kinds of modems: Hardware modem = works with Linux Software modem, aka "WinModem", works only with Windows Which do you have?

Reply to
Speechless