Ubuntu Live CD

Laurie Forbes wrote:

2.88 Mb of a CD is readable without a CD driver, and that is used for the first of the boot up part. It needs to have the right driver for your CD drive so the rest can be read.
I just went back over what you wrote and something puzzles me. If you boot up Windows and look at the CD, do you see an "iso" file? If you can, then someone goofed. An "iso" sort of an archive and the process of burning a CD should involve opening it and copying to a CD.
http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/isofaq.html#boot
"My computer won't boot from the cd. What do I do?
Make sure your system bios is set to boot from the cdrom _before_ booting from the hard drive. There are too many system variables for me to tell you how to enable this setting. Check your computer documentation or try searching Google. During the boot, watch your monitor for wording that indicates the system is trying to access the cd drive. If it is trying to access the cd but still won't boot, make a boot floppy using the cd. From whatever OS you are using, view the cd and look for README files or an Images or Disk directory. There should be instructions on how to create and use a boot floppy when the cd won't boot.
Why do I see one large .iso file on my burned cd instead of files and directories?
This happens when you copy the downloaded .iso file to a cd instead of burning it as a disk image. Some software will automatically recognize a .iso file and burn it correctly. Some software requires a specific menu selection such as 'Create CD From Disc Image', 'Burn Image', or something similar. Instructions for several burning programs can be found here."
"here" being:
http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html

I've done that (set to boot from CD first, and, set to boot from CD only). As I mentioned, it reads the CD but passes on it.

All I have is the ISO file - the Knoppix site says if you can't boot from CD, make a floppy boot disk using Knoppix on *another* computer (which I don't have).

Ah, I think this is my problem - my CD burn program (HT Fireman) does not let you specify Burn Image (or equivalent) so all I wind up with is the ISO file on the CD (if I understand it correctly now). I guess I need a burner program that accommodates that.

I'll look here and see what happens. Thanks mucho.....
Laurie Forbes
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:38:37 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"

NOTHING will boot from an ISO file. It must be written to CD in the proper format. Think of an ISO file as a big assed zip file (not true.but holds for the analogy)
you load a disk burning program, and have it convert the ISO file to a bootable disk. Or copy the ISO file to your hard drive and burn from it.
ISO files have no readily machine recognizable boot structure..so it has to be "unzipped" into the proper directories, boot files and so forth.
Gunner
Laurie Forbes wrote:

What do you use to burn your .iso's? Nero? Alcohol 120? I may be assuming - if so, I apologize, but you can't just copy an ISO to CD, you feed it to a burning program, ususally with the "burn image" command.
CC

Correct an if you don't know how...
Google can be your friend. A "burn iso image" search will give you all the information you need and probably for your software.
If you would like an XP that runs from a CD try searching reatogo. It is great when you OS has a problem and you need to copy files or fix stuff.
OK Gunner, I sent for a cd. If there's a virus or worse on it I'm going to be extremely pissed. 73 Gary

They are a class act, for a bunch of group huggers. <G> One of the nice things about Linux..windows viri dont bother it much. I intentionally opened some of my copious virus laden emails using a Linux email program...nada. No effect. I ran Aegis antivirus on them..and they were chock full of virus's..but only written to effect windows machines.
Now if they only did the same with spam....sigh
Gunner
I'm giving it a go too. I registered with the site just to see if they were really giving these CDs away...including shipping. They are. Although I didn't get greedy...I only ordered their PC 5-pack. Mike
On 22 Jan 2006 11:02:54 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "mj"

Ditto here. They came in late last week. My regular work PC is acting up (dual bios, can't find either during some bootups) so I haven't played with a copy yet.
- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals - -------------------------------------------------------- http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming
for some reason it crashes my dsl modem and only pushing its reset button and booting to windoes makes it work again. every time i boot the cd the modem crashes
also it sees my raid0 as 2 seprate drives so i cannot access any of my info.

Nice, innit?

Glad to have helped ;)

<snip> FWIW--
There are several emulators that will let you run windows programs under Linux. This can be important where the windows programs have features/macros that you use a lot. For example my main statistics program is Excel with the WinStat add-in. Also I like the BBC script add-ins for Word.
There appear to be several emulators out there. One that is free is available at http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/toptip4.shtml
Uncle George
On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:07:49 -0600, F. George McDuffee

Also an emulator called Wine and another called Win4Lin..
Gunner
Gunner wrote:

Haven't checked into Wine yet, but Win4Lin is not really an "emulator". It simply allows one to run Windows apps under Linux - AS windows apps. ie: Windows is required and is tehn running - holes and all...
Thanks,
Richard
F. George McDuffee wrote:

Thanks, Unk.