Ubuntu Live CD

snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com (Speechless) wrote in news:43f6adc7.38586109 @news.sasktel.net:

Bad news, boobie: the "WinModem" is HARDWARE, too!

Reply to
Eregon

Maybe, but there are a bunch of them that are (mostly) soft stuff.

There has to be some hardware to latch the output bits, but the rest of what goes on inside a UART can be emulated with code.

It's a lot cheaper in high volume production.

Reply to
Richard Lamb

My pleasure

Gunner

Gunner

It is "hardware" BUT it is not a true hardware modem. A true hardware modem is self contained and has the controller and processing power on it to allow it to handle the entire process of dialing,handshake process, and logging. The drivers for it only tell the computer the way to turn it on/off, how to set the phone number that it calls and what method it can use to talk to the outside world. A winmodem on the other hand is entirely dependent on the computer to provide the processing power and protocols for communication. It used to be that you only bought true hardware modems but once the processor power got high enough the makers decided they could cut some components out.

Steve

Reply to
Steve W.

Ok, I found one that didn't work.

Tried using my cell phone as a modem on my lap top.

The windoze driver works fine, but it didn't come up under Ubuntu. go figure...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Lamb

Actually..a WinModem is considered to be a Software modem. And its rare that they will work with much of anything besides Windows.

That being said..there are a number of attempts by some linux programmers to be able to utilize them.

Google Linux and winmodem. I supplied some links last night.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Hardware modem = works with Linux Software modem, aka "WinModem", works only with Windows Which do you have? <

That seems to be the problem. It's a V-92 56k fax win modem. I guess I can put it in my older computer and get a new non win modem for the newer one. Thanks guys.

73 Gary
Reply to
Gary

google is your friend.

Lots of linux junkies porting just about anything you can think of to linux

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

You don't have to take my word for it. You can go directly to the manufacturer's web site at:

where the differences between a hardware modem and a "WinModem" are explained via animated graphics for those graduates who are hukked on fonikks.

The good news is that you really don't need to understand the differences. All you need to know is that if you are running an operating system other than Micros*ft Windows, you need to utter the phrase, "I want to purchase a controller-based hardware modem that will work with my Linux" expressed in a language that is understood by your favorite computer retailer the next time you visit him.

Reply to
Speechless

Weeell, while I'm obviously never wrong, it may be that this one time I was a little short on being right :^)

Seems that some FOOL can't click on the right dialer. My PCM modem was not installed at the moment, and, well, it SHOULD have worked anyway, right?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Lamb

There are several versions of KPPP that will seek out and configure the win modems.

Google is your friend

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

FWIW--

There are several emulators that will let you run windows programs under Linux. This can be important where the windows programs have features/macros that you use a lot. For example my main statistics program is Excel with the WinStat add-in. Also I like the BBC script add-ins for Word.

There appear to be several emulators out there. One that is free is available at

Uncle George

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Also an emulator called Wine and another called Win4Lin..

Gunner

Gunner

Thanks, Unk.

will check it out...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Lamb

Haven't checked into Wine yet, but Win4Lin is not really an "emulator". It simply allows one to run Windows apps under Linux - AS windows apps. ie: Windows is required and is tehn running - holes and all...

Thanks,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Lamb