Spirit Condition Upgraded as Twin Rover Nears Mars

Guy Webster (818) 354-5011 Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. Donald Savage (202) 358-1547 NASA Headquarters, Washington, D.C. New Release: 2004-034 January 24, 2004 Spirit Condition Upgraded as Twin Rover Nears Mars Hours before NASA's Opportunity rover will reach Mars, engineers have found a way to communicate reliably with its twin, Spirit, and to get Spirit's computer out of a cycle of rebooting many times a day. Spirit's responses to commands sent this morning confirm a theory developed overnight that the problem is related to the rover's two "flash" memories or software controlling those memories. "The rover has been upgraded from critical to serious," said Mars Exploration Rover Project Manager Peter Theisinger at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. Significant work is still ahead for restoring Spirit, he predicted. Opportunity is on course for landing in the Meridiani Planum region of Mars. The center of an ellipse covering the area where the spacecraft has a 99 percent chance of landing is just 11 kilometers (7 miles) from the target point. That point was selected months ago. Mission managers chose not to use an option for making a final adjustment to the flight path. Previously, the third and fifth out of five scheduled maneuvers were skipped as unnecessary. " We managed to target Opportunity to the desired atmospheric entry point, which will bring us to the target landing site, in only three maneuvers," said JPL's Dr. Louis D'Amario, navigation team chief for the rovers. Opportunity will reach Mars at 05:05 Sunday, Universal Time (12:05 a.m. Sunday EST or 9:05 p.m. Saturday PST). From the time Opportunity hits the top of Mars' atmosphere at about

5.4 kilometers per second (12,000 miles per hour) to the time it hits the surface 6 minutes later, then bounces, the rover will be going through the riskiest part of its mission. Based on analysis of Spirit's descent and on weather reports about the atmosphere above Meridiani Planum, mission controllers have decided to program Opportunity to open its parachute slightly earlier than Spirit did. Mars is more than 10 percent farther from Earth than it was when Spirit landed. That means radio signals from Opportunity during its descent and after rolling to a stop have a lower chance of being detected on Earth. About four hours after the landing, news from the spacecraft may arrive by relay from NASA's Mars Odyssey orbiter. However, that will depend on Opportunity finishing critical activities, such as opening the lander petals and unfolding the rover's solar panels, before Odyssey flies overhead. Spirit has 256 megabytes of flash memory, a type commonly used on gear such as digital cameras for holding data even when the power is off. Engineers confirmed this morning that Spirit's recent symptoms are related to the flash memory when they commanded the rover to boot up and utilize its random-access memory instead of flash memory. The rover then obeyed commands about communicating and going into sleep mode. Spirit communicated successfully at 120 bits per second for nearly an hour. "We have a vehicle that is stable in power and thermal, and we have a working hypothesis we have confirmed," Theisinger said. By commanding Spirit each morning into a mode that avoids using flash memory, engineers plan to get it to communicate at a higher data rate, to diagnose the root cause of the problem and develop ways to restore as much functioning as possible. The work on restoring Spirit is not expected to slow the steps in getting Opportunity ready to roll off its lander platform if Opportunity lands safely. For Spirit, those steps took 12 days. The rovers' main task is to explore their landing sites for evidence in the rocks and soil about whether the sites' past environments were ever watery and possibly suitable for sustaining life. JPL, a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, manages the Mars Exploration Rover project for NASA's Office of Space Science, Washington. Images and additional information about the project are available from JPL at
and from Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., at
. -end-
Reply to
Ron

Please send a word of thanks to all the boys and girls back at JPL and at the other sites involved from all of us that have hiched along on their Mars adventure.

I sure hope that they are just as excited as when they were little kids and got a long-expected present delivered.

I get giddy thinking about those rovers driving around on Mars.

Do you realize that these things are driving around on MARS????

Nice work everybody.

Reply to
Alan Kilian

I am really amazed at the engineering and technical feat that the rovers represent as well. Truly amazing!

Reply to
jbeck

Cars on Mars controlled by NASA bars.

Reply to
Mark Earnest

Congratulations to JPL and the MER EDL team for another inspirational job! Opportunity's on Mars!

Reply to
Michael Anthony

So the method they used is 3/3, I say we land everything on Mars that way. Forget those totally rocket controlled descents, this bouncing ball method is proven. I can't wait until we start bring some samples back and maybe doing some seismic stuff.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Clayton

3 for 4, if you count Beagle2. Still not bad, so I agree with you.

-- Dr.Postman USPS, MBMC, BsD; "Disgruntled, But Unarmed" Member,Board of Directors of afa-b, SKEP-TI-CULT® member #15-51506-253. You can email me at: TuriFake(at)hotmail.com

"Yes, there are thankfully no lights in my head, pest." - Joseph Bartlo

Reply to
DrPostman

Was the Beagle2 using that landing method as well? If so did NASA help the ESA or was it all their own design. There was a NOVA program a while back about the design of the rovers and how difficult it was, especially things involving EDL.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Clayton

Someone else would have to answer that for ya.

-- Dr.Postman USPS, MBMC, BsD; "Disgruntled, But Unarmed" Member,Board of Directors of afa-b, SKEP-TI-CULT® member #15-51506-253. You can email me at: TuriFake(at)hotmail.com

"Yes, there are thankfully no lights in my head, pest." - Joseph Bartlo

Reply to
DrPostman

Yes.

Neither. It was designed and built by the British - not ESA - without help from NASA.

Reply to
Chosp

You'll find basic information there:

It's no real secret that the main problem with Beagle 2 is that the budget devoted to it was clearly insufficient from the start. Actually, the failure was almost entirely predictable. But keep in mind that the Beagle 2 was only the "icing on the cake" for this mission, from the european point of view.

Still a pity, though. But more of a politics problem than an engineering one, in my opinion.

Reply to
Guillaume

We aim to please.

Reply to
George

We've got no idea why Beagle failed. The bags may have worked correctly.

Reply to
Dosco Jones

That'd not a valid line of thought. Air bags appear work very well for landing zones that are flat and relatively clear of pointy things. If you want to land in a place with more interesting topography, bags may not be the best answer.

Reply to
Dosco Jones

I can imagine two failure modes that I haven't seen discussed. The air bags are held together with lines of interlocking loops that require the internal pressure of the bags to unzip. If one of the bags got even a tiny puncture, there may not have been enough internal pressure to cause the loops to unzip, leaving the Beagle enshrouded. The other possibility is that the Beagle popped its air bags off, but was over a rocky area, and slid down in a crack between rocks, so that it was unable to open. Is anyone knowledgeable enough about the design to correct me on either of these possibilities?

Reply to
John Popelish

I see, well maybe they should get some notes from the NASA folks on how to do it right (and how not to do it...the polar lander). I don't know why we can't do more of these rovers exactly identical to these (and the previous one) each landing in different areas and with appropriate science instruments. Seems like the r&d costs are behind us (other than finding better flash memory if that is a problem on Spirit). These rovers could even be sold to other agencies/countries. I don't know why we always need to have a different spacecraft for each mission when proven designs work? I guess it is like you said, more politics than anything, using the same design does not result in lucrative contracts to bid on.

Reply to
Jason Clayton

Beagle uses the same method of landing?

I did not know that.

Thanks.

Reply to
Greg Teets

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 13:59:48 -0500, "George" carved in granite...

You aim too, please. :) Carl

-- "Volunteer emergency personel are like toilet paper- no one realizes how valuable they are until they're needed." -- Coalbunny

Reply to
Coalbunny

I guess it would be a problem in a canyon, although if we are able to bring the costs down to where we can send numerous rovers, then we could risk having the rover land in a canyon with a relatively wide valley floor.

Another thing, I have seen some incredibly high resolution sat. images and I am sure the CIA folks have even better stuff. Why don't we have that kind of resolution from our orbiting spacecraft there? I know we spend enough money on them to have the best stuff.

Reply to
Jason Clayton

Reply to
Dosco Jones