What CPU is on the Spirit Rover?

Does anyone know what microcontroller is used on the Mars Spirit Rover ? Since Mars has a thin atmosphere, does radiation still kill semiconductors?

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:21:32AM +0000, en wrote:

It most likely has several. I see from this page, the main computer has 128MB of RAM memory, so it is most likely not in the typical microcontroller class:
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/database/MasterCatalog?sc 03-027A
-Brian
--
Brian Dean, snipped-for-privacy@bdmicro.com
BDMICRO - Maker of the MAVRIC ATmega128 Dev Board

Mars Spirit uses a RAD-6000 vme-based single-board computer.
I couldn't find hardware details of Spirit Rover, but I found description of Mars Pathfinder and it looks like the CPU used is the same. Here is a fragment from <http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/fact_sheets/mpf.pdf :
"The lander was controlled by a derivative of the commercially available IBM RAD6000 computer, radiation-hardened to survive the flight. The computer featured a computing speed of 20 million instructions per second and 128 megabytes of dynamic random access memory for storage of flight software and engineering and science data, including images and rover information. Six megabytes of non-volatile memory stored flight software and time-critical data."
Paul.

en wrote:

The main computer is a RAD-6000, see:
http://www.baesystems.com/newsroom/2003/july/250703news1.htm
Jerry
-- Jerry Petrey -- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation (GPS/INS), Guidance, & Control -- Raytheon Missile Systems - Member Team Ada & Team Forth -- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to reply ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxwell Technologies makes hardened devices
http://www.maxwell.com/microelectronics/index.html

semiconductors?