Spirit Condition Upgraded as Twin Rover Nears Mars

"Jerry Petrey @raytheon.com>"

Reply to
George

Not trying to stir up a political debate, but did not GWB just propose only 1 billion additional funding for NASA over the next 5 years (200 million dollars a year)and Congress just pass $87 billion to rehab Iraq? That's 435 times the money for war and its effects than science.

A number for American scientists to think about as they decide whom to vote for this year.

Reply to
Jo Schaper

I don't know the air-date, but maybe it was this one?

Alan Kilian

George,

Perhaps you misread my post. I did not talk about us living forever. I said some people act as if the human race might go on forever. Of course, no one nor any species will continue forever but to maximize our survival as a species, we need to move off this Earth at some point. If all of early man had decided to live around Winslow, Arizona 50,000 years ago, there probably would not be humans today (after the meteor impact). If you consider doing anything to enhance the long term survival of humans as tinkering with nature, so be it, but I would prefer not to take such a defeatist attitude. Maybe we shouldn't invest in disease control, food production or anything of the sort that might help more people live. I also did not say that a reason for going into space was because we otherwise might kill ourselves here on Earth (although there might be some merit to that argument). I said, if we don't kill ourselves first, there are plenty of natural disasters that will likely eliminate the human race eventually, especially if we continue to keep ?all our eggs in one basket?.

It is true, ironically, that we owe our existence today to the eradication of the dinosaurs by a global catastrophe that allows our early ancestors to flourish and evolve but due to our intelligence, we are the first species on this planet that could do something to avoid a similar fate.

Certainly going into space to find other life or to determine if it exists is a worthwhile goal in its own right.

Jerry

--

-- Jerry Petrey

-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation (GPS/INS), Guidance, & Control

-- Raytheon Missile Systems - Member Team Ada & Team Forth

-- NOTE: please remove in email address to reply

Jerry Petrey

It doesn't take rocket science to figure that one out. LOL

Reply to
George

Pathetic? I beg your pardon. Most of your comments appear to be mindless attributions with no real substance on your part. That is pathetic.

I have a very passing interest in Geology. It is a weak subject for me, and am somewhat lost in the threads where that is discussed. Let there be no doubt, I do recognize the importance of geology and the clues that Geologiests can glean from the explorations. In fact, I consider that as one of the main reasons for being there...to provide reliable and usable information to the geologists.

Your comments that have aviation as a theme are mildly interesting. I am a Commercial Pilot, and have had an intense interest of aviation, and aviation history that spans back to when I was 8 or 9. My uncle's neighbor who died several years ago was signed off to solo by Wilbur Wright. His first airplane was built by the Brothers. I know many pilots who flew combat from WWII to the very recent Gulf War. Peripherilly, I know one of the Apollo Astronauts. Aviation has always been a strong point within my family. I also know several engineers, techs and chemists who work for NASA. In their own right, they rank right up there. Even though I am talking NASA, I also include those who worked on the Beagle. Despite my own comparatively small accomplishments, I feel completely humbled to walk in the shadows of these great men. I think it is important to honor those who have truly made history, and those who are currently making history.

I have to wonder if my interests and appreciation have more substance than your apprently superficial degredation of great accomplishments.

You can sit there clucking about how pathetic you find me or those who may think like me...that is your opinion. You stick to the past, and I will continue to be thrilled with the present and future.

Thanks for the post.

Reply to
jbeck

I wonder if Russia still builds the worlds largest microcomputers?

Reply to
jbeck

Tuesday after the first landing. Included two minutes of pics from the landing.

Reply to
rick++

My dear JBeck,

I happen also to have a commercial pilot licence and as well gained Crop Duster Rating... but my flying interests are only subservient of my main True Geologist interest ! I intent to buy myself soon a Bonanza 36TC to start taking photos which will serve to illustrate the book I am writing on the True Geology, and will as well take an option on the Safire Jet.for early 2006 delivery ! I happen too to have made the Mining History of Australia and I am as well the LEGAL OWNER OF THE LARGEST GOLD MINE OF AUSTRALIA INDEED THE TELFER MINE !.

The point I am making is that it is a ridiculous to go exploring Planets in our solar systems with rockets, that is like wanting to go to New Rochelle from here in a paddle boot. One may get there, but that's not the way to go ! ... as well as if wanting to go to Oxford to give a lecture on the True Geology, I would board a canon ball, go in orbit and fall over the Geological dpt in a parachute ! See ?

The main problem is not the one of showing gratitude or recognition to those who have open the road of the Air, and by the way this is Clement Ader from France and not the Wright brothers who were the first ( in case you don't know there again the right history ) I have personally open roads which did not exist in Australia and know all about that, still I have personal recognition to all those who have put me on the path of understanding. The main problem is the one of those brainwashed fools mass-produced by Uuuuniversities of the whole World who have lost the possibility of Synthesis or Global thinking. The main problem is the one of all those brainwashed fools like present Gogologist and Physicists who believe the world is the one as they have been taught ! The main problem is the one chain-produced degrees-loaded Goys , who have lost their free will and free mind !!!

There are indeed other nice ways to apprehend the problem and the key to it is an understanding of the UPL, of which I am the discoverer ! The UPL is the corner stone of the True Geology indeed but for me to out it, there will be some prerequisite conditions to be met ! Indeed ! The Universal Pressure Laws applications not only open Mankind understanding to its True Environment, not only open the Road to the Stars, but as well open the book of Mankind & of Our Earth True History . Estimates TI with UPL based crafts La Rochelle - Mars : 6 hours flying time La Rochelle - Proxima Centuri : approx 8 days

By the way crafts made according to the UPL will have right on Earth a payload if needed, but exceeding millions of tons, and will allow people to live in Africa and commute to NY each day in 1/2 hour.time. Or private lighter craft to commute from La Rochelle to Beijing in less than an hour. We have changed Millennium in case you did not notice !

Any further question ?

Reply to
{#} jpturcaud

I agree.