labelling plastic parts bins

I have a number of plastic parts bins purchased from Global. I want to put some adhesive backed computer generated labels on the bins. The labels peel off after about a week. Any ideas on what adhesive to use?? I've tried Elmers, hot glue and some acrylic. None of these seem to work. Global has said they don't know either>>>

Stu Fields

Reply to
Stu Fields

Two-part epoxies? Silicone caulk? Pliobond? Tar? :)

Reply to
Existential Angst

Don't they have a molded-in label holder? Can you cut some stiff paper to fit that, then affix label to that?

Otherwise maybe a small dab of RTV silicone on the back of the label to boost the adhesive? Also are you using name-brand labels with good adhesive.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

Have you tried de-greasing the surface that you want the label to stick on. I got a self-adhesive hook for hanging a hand towel on and it fell off the wall after about half an hour, the adhesive pad was stuck to the wall still but not the plastic hook. I de-greased it and put the hook back on the pad and it's still in place maybe 6 months later. I presume there was some form of release agent still on the surface preventing proper adhesion.

Reply to
David Billington

I've had the best results from file folder labels with colored stripes across the top.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Thanks Mike I haven't tried the RTV but the bins don't have the slide in label holder. I was too cheap to get those bins. Stu

Reply to
Stu Fields

David: Thanks for the idea. I'll try it.

Stu

Reply to
Stu Fields

The bins are probably exuding some plasticizer--cook 'em in the sun a couple of days-- that should get rid of it---The degreasing may work, but some more may exude later--popping the labels Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Wass

What plastic are the bins made of? There should be a recycle logo on the bottom telling the story. If the bins are polyethylene (many bins are), only adhesives meant for polyethylene are going to work. I have bought such labels from scientific supply houses, and have yet to have a label fall off. But these labels are not suited to computer printing - I use a sharpie.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Pitney Bowes or Office Depot brand *permanent* postage meter labels.

They have stayed stuck for decades.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Clear tape over.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Double sided tape and degrease first.

John

Reply to
John

Brother PTouch using the tape with extra-strength stickum. You can get several models with USB connections for PCs or there's a computer- only version.

Computer printer labels, like come in sheets, have two versions, one with removable adhesive, one that's more or less permanent. Had some of the permanent sort on some computer tapes, the paper peeled off after many years, the adhesive stayed put as a rock-hard layer. And none of them are improved by age. Had a box of labels from the back of the warehouse, when opened, the labels just fell off the backing. No stick left to the adhesive.

There might be some mold release left on the plastic, too. A lot of it is silicone and it's a bear to remove. Might have to sand to get down to clean plastic.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Like everyone else says use a degreaser to get any mold release off but you might also follow this tip. You know the red Loctite bottles? They seem like a similar material to plastic bins. In order to get the white printing to stick the factory passes the surface over a flame before printing. Not so much to melt the surface but apparently it causes some sort of chemical reaction that makes the surface more receptive to coating.

Reply to
Monkey Butler

or you can use a neon sign transformer to generate plasma and use the plasma to treat the surface. IIRC a flame or plasma will oxidize the surface. Not necessary except on plastics as poly and teflon.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

What sort of adhesive is on the labels you're using? Avery has both "permanent" and "removable" labels; I can easily imagine the removable labels peeling off in a hurry. If it's really supposed to be a permanent label, I wonder if there's contamination on the bin or something.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Hmm ... what would high-intensity UV do? (Other than give you a sunburn. :-)

Also -- what does a contact cement like Pliobond do for this problem?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Before you can even *think* of gluing plastics, you *must* know what type of plastic you are dealing with. Different types of plastic can have very different properties.

Reply to
Robert Roland

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 10:14:39 -0700, the infamous "Stu Fields" scrawled the following:

Don't they have slide-in tag holders on the front?

If not, use a piece of clear plexi and drill/screw the label-sized piece on the bin.

Note: While open bins are handy, I hate them because they collect dust so easily. I much prefer the closed style cabinets with openable drawers for that reason. Clear drawers help you see what you want.

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Don't they have slots to slide a card into the front? Just print cards and slide them into the slots if that's the case.

Reply to
Bob La Londe