lathe cut-off blades

What is better - thinner or thicker? Thicker is stronger, but the larger cut also puts more force on it. Is it a matter of stick-out? I.e., the longer the stick-out, the thicker the blade? If so, how much stick-out does a given size give?

If it matters, I'm talking about 1/2" high, t-style/shape.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Thanks for all the replies. Especially the ones that mentioned the rigidity of the lathe. I went with a 1/16" wide one, to minimize the rigidity required. It will be seen if I can get enough stick out with it.

BTW - I need a t-shape for the QC holder. I didn't realize until very recently the holder requires the t-shape & I had been struggling to get a tapered blade to work in it. Not very successfully, I might add.

As to an index-holder tool, that's more than I want to invest, if one would even work in my Aloris-style QC holder.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt