Lathe motor overcurrent

Hi, I bought a Grizzly G0516 lathe/mill about a month ago. I've run it for about 5-6 hours so far. I was using it yesterday but when I started the lathe motor, the fuse popped. I replaced the the fuse a couple of times, and found each time the motor starts and runs for about a second and then it pops the fuse. I'm thinking the capacitor start winding is not disengaging some how? Maybe the centrifugal switch is stuck or burnt? Does anyone here have any ideas before I dig into it. I'm hoping it's something I can fix without going through the hassle of involving the dealer/shipping and all that.

Thanks, Allan

Reply to
beeperboy

Does the motor sound wierd for the second or so that it does run? If so, my guess is that the centrifugal switch contacts are not closing completely, and the motor is trying to start without the cap in the circuit. Ken.

Reply to
Kenneth W. Sterling

It sounds like it is winding up quickly, then after 1/2-1 second later the fuse opens. Hmm.

Allan

Reply to
beeperboy

That's true. Or possibly the switch stuck once and damaged the capacitor?

That's good advice. I'll tear it open tomorrow and check the capacitor with my meter. I can't imagine the Chinese using a quality capacitor in a cheap motor.

Allan

Reply to
beeperboy