Lathe purchase advice sought

I need a lathe with a little larger capacity than the Sherline that I've been using for a while, but don't have very much of a budget for buying a replacement. Several months' worth of patient scanning of local advertising has not panned out, so it's looking like I'll need to buy new. I'm considering the following, any of which would be large enough for my needs for the forseeable future:

?Itemnumber=93212 Any of these that I should *not* be considering? Any others that I *should* be? Things to be aware of with any of the above? All advice is gratefully appreciated. *Good* advice will be further appreciated with a cold bottle of homebrewed porter (if you can come to Indianapolis to get it). TIA...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Indianapolis is a bit far away for my Myford. For the right price I could be convinced to part with it - would make my wife happy - but not me.

Reply to
clare

You realize, of course, that these are all the same lathe with some having a 14" between centers instead of 12".

For about the same price, you may be able to find a used Atlas 618.

I apologize for not including a political rant.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

You are excused but only THIS time!!!!

Reply to
RoyJ

Well, that's part of what I wanted advice on. Yes, they're superficially the same, but even if they're made in the same factory in China, what about the quality control standards? The Harbor Freight lathe is significantly less expensive than the other three -- is this because HF markets the equipment that failed QC inspection for Grizzly, MicroMark, or MSC? If all four are truly the same lathe (except for the distance between centers), which company has the highest QC standards?

Haven't seen anything locally so far... *Lots* of used wood lathes available, and a few metal lathes that are *much* larger than I need (or have room for, either in my shop or in my budget), but nothing that fits both size and budget requirements.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I have one you can have for FREE! Just come and get it.

Reply to
Buerste

Since your in Indianapolis try wholesale tools they have a outlet warehouse here. There is also a harbor freight across from Gander mountain on 86 St.. either will save you shipping

Robert

Reply to
Robert

First of all..where are you, and what size lathe are you needing? How much are you willing to pay for a good used lathe.

Indiana..and you cant find a decent used lathe????

Blink blink...blink....

You cant live with a 6" Logan or Southbend or even a 6" Atlas?

Gunner Asch

And we have another RCM Sucess story!!!!

ah...er...how big is it? Does he have to install another service?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

16" swing? 40" BC? 3-phase, 1,500 lbs
Reply to
Buerste

Don't know your requirements, mine are making drive train components up to ~5HP on the large side and 0-80 instrument screws on the small one. A 10" diameter x 24" length capacity lathe with 5C collets has done everything well enough that I passed on a Monarch 10EE for $2000 (it needed work.....). A 9" lathe would have done almost all of it, except for holding 1" collets.

The 10" South Bend is every bit as precise as a Sherline for tiny parts, and still easy to use, though it doesn't spin as fast. The few

15" lathes I've used were awkward on tiny stuff, the smaller ones inadequate to turn stainless steel. To me 9" - 10" is the sweet spot for amateur and prototype use.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'll check that out, thanks.

None of the three HF stores in the area stock any metal lathes or milling machines any more. They all used to, but the only metalworking equipment any of them have in stock now are shears, brakes, and other sheet metal forming tools.

Hmmm... Looks like pretty much the same lathe as the other four, doesn't it?

*Are* they really the same, though?
Reply to
Doug Miller

Indianapolis

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 6x10 -- not critical, but I do need more swing than I have with the Sherline.

About the same as what I'm willing [read: able] to pay for a decent new one: around $600.

Didn't say that. Can't find a decent used lathe that (a) I can afford, (b) fits in the space I have available, and (c) runs on single-phase power.

Sure I could. You know anybody in the area that's selling one?

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) fired this volley in news:hf8fg5$s3v$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

There are lots of nifty new-tech VFDs out there for cheap. I just bought two 3HP units new for under $200 each. 1/2HP VFDs are running around $90.

It's an "extra", sure, but it opens up your options. 3-phase equipment on the home-shop market usually goes for less money than single-phase of the same capability, because folks don't understand it, figuring they'll have to buy/build an RPC or get 3-phase service.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I thought about going that route, but there's still the "fits in the space available" issue. Keeping it in an unheated garage isn't really an option in central Indiana, so that means it has to go in the basement (which *is* heated and air-conditioned, and has dehumidifiers running year-round).

And most 3PH equipment that I've seen is large enough to be, ummmmm, impractical for carrying down the basement stairs. I had a tough enough time moving a 240V 1PH Rockwell wood lathe into the basement...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Ill see what I can do.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Thanks. Hook me up with one, and the beer's on me next time you're in Indy.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug, they are all three products of Sieg, but the Micromark is the class of the field. It's worth the extra money. The dials are true inch dials. It has the long bed. I think their QC is a little better. it has the speed indicator

(gloat warning) I just bought one of these from an estate sale. Barely used (test only) for brass. DRO brand new, uninstalled. ALL available accessories. All upgrades I know of -all the gears are steel. Custom Ball-bearing leadscrew blocks New cranks, oversize, anodized. Nicest minilathe I've ever seen. Gave $400 for all.

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
RBnDFW

You mean 0.050" per revolution, instead of 1.25mm = 0.0492"?

Thanks for the info. Can the tailstock be offset for taper cutting?

You suck. :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

Look thru the RCM archives for more info regarding the mini-lathes (also mini-mills). Another resource is

There are considerable differences in the number of accessories that are included with some models.. faceplate, tailstock chuck, steady/traveling center rests for long workpieces etc.

Almost all models have plastic change-gear sets, and plastic gears in the headstock, too. One or 2 more expensive models have "metal" gears, possibly steel or cast iron, but maybe just potmetal gears (the sellers don't seem to specify which metal).

You will likely want to get many other accessories/tooling items, regardless of which model you choose.

The headstock spindles have an MT3 taper (same as 9x20" models), which can be adapted to 3C for collets that are a feed-thru type (secured with a drawtube instead of drawbar).

The minis are lightweight and compact, which are definitely desirable features to many users.

Reply to
Wild_Bill