advice on how to make part

jpg is at:

this be made on a mini-mill / mini-lathe? desktop cnc? was thinking about using 6061 aluminun. i have zero experience with any of the above machines any ideas would be much appreciated. thanks, pat

Reply to
pat tallino

--Assuming you only need one and that precision is +/- something reasonable you could do it with a well equipped manual lathe (like a Myford with a milling attachment) and a hand file.

Reply to
steamer

Yes, if you add a file and a welder to the tool compliment.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Whatzit for?

Carving that flange out of solid is going to be wasteful and expensive. A weldement, or a silver soldered assembly, out of steel, would be more economical. That would only require solid stock a bit larger than the large end of the shaft, and appropriate thicknesses of sheet or plate stock for the round and square flanges.

Digging out a 6 or so inch deep hole is a bit of a stretch on a minilathe or minimill. Whether you use steel or aluminum, you come up short of room.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I'm with Trevor on this...

A good silver brased weldment for the main shaft would make this a cinch, Same thing for the flat plate with the 'ears' in the hole, I'd bore/drill (or what ever) the hole, and silver brase in the ears and then clean it all up...

And I'd probably make it all outt a CRS...

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

I would replace the welder with a broach for the keyway. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

They COULD be so made..with some secondary ops after the fact, like broaching the keyways and so forth.

It would take you at least 15 hours in a well equipped manual shop if you knew what you were doing. A VERY well equipped shop.

How many do you need? I can suggest a number of good production shops that could turn these out for you, and send them out for broaching and so forth. All done on CNC and so forth.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

right now i need 8 made, maybe many more in the near future. i've made 4 myself already using an existing wheel flange that already has the key-way, i redrill the holes and weld on a 6" pipe. the rest is done with a 3 " die grinder w/cutting wheel and a drill press. pics of two i just finished here:

the problem is: 1. i don''t know where to get more wheel flages 2. it's alot of frickin work making them this way.

i was hoping a could plunk down a few grand on a desktop cnc machine and make a cad drawing, push a button and presto!

sure gunner recommend some shops. thanks for all the advice so far.

Reply to
pat tallino

You can do that, if you're mechanically inclined, reasonably intelligent, and have at least 5 years of experience (25 would be better). :)

If those are the only parts you want to make, and you're trying to get it done cheap, hire it done.

If you're looking for a life long hobby, and think you would enjoy doing it yourself, get out your checkbook cause it ain't going to be cheap.

If you like the idea of the hobby, enroll in a machine tool tech class in your area. After you've learned what you need to know, enroll again so you can use their equipment without buying your own.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

OYYYYYyyyy!!!

You really ARE going to have a look at the price range of a CNC lathe that will be able to fit that part in it!

You got a really big desk?

The machine is just one part of the equation. Tooling, software, and learning curve for the whole package.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Reply to
pat tallino

pat tallino wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Make them.

So is most any other way.

Maybe you should think about an old clapped out mill/drill CNC lathe like this one:

It will easily do what you want if it runs. Except for the I.D. key way that is. But that is easy enough to put in with any old press you can lay your hands on.

There's a better looking one on Ebay, but they want a lot more money for it.

The problem is with low quantity orders is they will be expen$ive.

Reply to
D Murphy

If he makes something to hold the chuck steady or it has 'C' axis, he can even use it cut the keyway.

Wes is having fond memories of uncles vertical shaper(slotter)

Reply to
clutch

I doubt that a mini-mill and tiny lathe would be capable of (or helpful for) producing the parts shown in the pictures. A larger benchtop mill could be helpful, with the addition of a rotary table and numerous other accessories. With a considerable amount of time and work involved in fabricating jigs/fixtures, the fabrication of the parts from raw stock could be accomplished by manually machining most of the features except the broach and the internal tabs in the square plate.

The best (or fastest, easiest, cheapest) methods to fabricate the part depend *a lot* on how much accuracy is required. Another major consideration would be the required strength of the finished part.. torque, load etc.

You might consider aluminun (new one there) to be a better material for weight, but the initial raw material costs could be excessive, compared to mild steel.

It's not clear (to me, anyway) if the square flange needs to be able to be disengaged from the tube notches, or if it could just be welded to the tube. I see long hex head screws laying in the pile of parts 'n tools. Since the holes in the square plate and the smaller holes in the hub flange appear to be aligned, maybe this is a bolted assembly (for unknown reasons).

You might want to consider trying to source off-the-shelf/stocked individual components, and combining them to complete the part, with a minimum amount of machining, and the minimum amount of mis-alignment of the individual parts (pressing them together, with the addition of pins, Loctite or other means), or a tolerable amount of mis-alignment due to welding distortion.

The 2" broached section should be available from a variety of sources as a finished part (coupler, sprocket hub etc.).

The round flange could be available as a weldable steel pipe flange or part intended for other purposes.

The tube is probably available, and would need to be cut to length, and maybe notched by cutting and grinding.

The square plate isn't particularly difficult, although the internal tabs could be problematic if they are absolutely necessary (to disengage, maybe). This part would most likely be punched in a manufacturing environment, but neither the mini-mill or lathe would simplify fabrication of this part as shown, in my opinion.

I dunno how much the finished assembly is worth, or how much the individual parts may cost. There would be a cost point where there would be no profit (or practicality) invloved, considering the time involved to complete the final version.

There are numerous suppliers of hubs in the U.S., and some discount surplus suppliers, such as Small Engine Distributors

Fabrication using individual parts would most likely involve welding, which will introduce some distortion in the alignment of the parts. The hub flange could be trued by turning the asembly in a lathe, but I think a mini-late is too small, although a 9x20" lathe should be adequate. Unfortunately, the lathe might not provide much more usefulness for this particular assembly.

WB metalwork> jpg is at:

could this be made on a mini-mill / mini-lathe? desktop cnc? was

Reply to
Wild Bill