Funny end of the story: My new spreader beam plan (visited steel yard)

ROTFLMAO, I realized that I already have a load leveler, a military surplus leveler for engines.

I did not know what it was when I made a pullup bar from it. I looked at it and finally realized what it was.

It was made for lifting of T-56 turboprop engines, 5000 horsepower. The weight of T56 is 1,940 lbs according to aeronautics.ru. I am going to replace this now valuable leveler bar with a regular pipe for pullups, and use this leveler for lifting things.

Turboprop Engine ID 33 Country USA Manufacturer Rolls-Royce Engine model T56-427 Take-off rating 3,910 kW (5,250 shp) Weight (dry) 880 kg (1,940 lb) Prop drive SS Width 686 mm (27.0 in) Length 3,711 mm (146.1 in) Airflow 15.2 kg (33.5 lb)/s Arrangement 14A Classification Turboprop Engine

here's the NSN info.

MCRL INFORMATION 4920-00-623-6729 Part No. RNCC RNVC RNFC SADC DAC CAGE Name 6796570 5 2 3 5 24617 GENERAL MOTO 6796570 3 2 3 2 73342 ALLISON TRAN

ML-C INFORMATION 4920-00-623-6729 SA SOS MCD UI QUP AAC SLC RC CIIC Price DF FLZ --YRN-N EA 1 V 0 U U 242.00

No Procurement History Records Found for NIIN: 006236729

Technical Characteristics ( ILs ) 4920-00-623-6729 MRC Requirement Reply AGAV III END ITEM IDENTIFICATION C-130 ACFT T-56 TURBOPROP ENGINE FTLD FUNCTIONAL DESCRIPTION USED DURING ENGINE COMPONENT LIFTING/REPAIR RDAL REFERENCE DATA AND LITERATURE TO 2J-T56-24; NAVAIR 02B-5DA-504 SR-5 MANUFACTURERS CODE 73342 SR-5 DESIGN CONTROL REFERENCE 6796570

This is a continuation of my effort to make a suitable spreader beam > for lifting engines and pallets. > > I visited a steel yard in Chicago this morning and picked up some > scrap. (I am NOT proud of what I paid for other stuff besides scrap). > > Anyway, for $20, I picked the following: > > 1) One 4"x3.5'x3/16" steel plate > 2) Two 1.25"x1.25"x3 ft square tubing pieces 3/16" wall (heavy wall) > > My plan is to weld them longitudinally, so that, when seen from the > side, they will look like this: > > o|o > ` > > that is, the square tubing pieces will be welded to both sides of the > plate forming "ribs". > > That would make a 3" or so structure that, I hope, will be rigid > enough not to buckle under loads of up to 1,000-1,500 lbs. I would > drill holes in steel plate for hooks and such. > > Most of the weight will be carried by the 3/16" plate, with the ribs > serving mostly to prevent buckling. > > As for welding, I will just use 6013 stick electrodes. Will paint it > with some "farm equipment green" oil paint. > > i
Reply to
Ignoramus25162

When you find a surplus T56 in working order let me know. I think I could do a good job of scaring the neighbors with one...

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

not before I use it on certain neighbors of my own...

Reply to
Ignoramus25162

Was there a point to your post aside from babbling "military surplus" yet another time?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Yes, but you missed it.

Ignoramus25162

We can pass it around the whole RCM group and have hundreds of neighbors cowering in their basements...

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

That you're an idiot? I didn't miss that part.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

That would make a great leaf blower. Not exactly portable, but then it doesn't have to be.

Reply to
jlevie

That's a point that you are trying to make, not the one that you missed.

Ignoramus25162

Calling Ignoramus an idiot is an offense!

Because he had to start 4 (IIRC) threads, he waisted the time of 2 kind people to do calculations for him only to find out later that he has the part he needed already laying around.

Calling Ignoramus an idiot is an offense to all the real idiots.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Wrong end. Leaf vacuum and incinerator in one.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 18:06:32 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete C." quickly quoth:

Har! I'll bet. And when the HOA calls, just tell them it's your new Rolls Royce. Not a problem.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 00:09:29 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete C." quickly quoth:

"Uh, Martha, didn't we have a 90 year old oak tree in the front yard just a few minutes ago?"

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

For how 200 year old oak trees get blown up in moments, by means of electric currents, see pictures at

Ignoramus25162

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 04:34:52 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus25162 quickly quoth:

That must have been a baby lightning bolt. I've seen other trees blown to bits as the current instantly converted the moisture to steam and blew the trunk into several parts, usually felling the tree into several dozen pieces on the ground. It's a real bummer for the trees and their owners, huh?

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's actually a point you made, not me.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Yeah, no shit

This ordeal reminds me of the recent quest for a good battery charger, and the complaints concerning smart chargers..

when you had a heavy duty battery charger you were trying to give away or scrap, because it didn't work/too big/too heavy/too old, IIRC. Instead of fixing it, apparently your solution was to by a charger from GD Wmart, then complain about it.

Can't catch a break

WB metalwork> ROTFLMAO, I realized that I already have a load leveler, a military

snippage

Reply to
Wild Bill

Well, if you consider having a 152 lbs pile of metal to be a great solution to charging car batteries, you are right. But first try actually handling them. Stop by in a week or two and help me unload three more of these.

Ignoramus30925

I really don't get this picking-on-Igor thing. It's like primary school and cub scouts all over again. Geez.

You might not like all of the stuff Igor posts, but every time you post a message attacking him, that message is a whole lot less worthwhile and more tedious than everything he posts.

Give the guy a break!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Gentlement, I am very thankful for your opinion, though indeed asking for advice on how to build something and then finding a suitable part already available can seem ridiculous...

Ignoramus30925