End of an Era

For those of you who know Downey California, you likely have visited a place called "Nick's New and Used" on Imperial Highway. I've been a customer of the place since the late 60's.

Nick (and after he died - Dave) had all sorts of old decrepit stuff from conveyor belts to old toilets and rooms full of tooling. Most of my shop tools came from this place. None was ready to use when I loaded

it into my truck but the price was cheap and they universally cleaned up nicely.

I stopped by on Saturday for what has come to be my semi-annual visit. The gates were closed but there were quite a few people around. When I tried to get past the gate, I was stopped by a man I had never seen before. So I asked if Dave was there yet. Dave would ALWAYS let me in even if the gate was closed.

They guy said that Dave had died of a massive heart attack on Oct 31st.

The guy was in the process of closing the place up (probate) and planned to ultimately turn it into a vacant lot.The city had ordered Dave to "cease and desist" all sales activity due to "code violations"

- except to city approved recycling vendors.

I'm going to miss Nick's. There were always treasures to be found. I can't think of any place that will come close to the rich experiences (and fabulous bargains) I got there.

Gary

Reply to
grice

It is indeed a shame, and "we" are indeed responsible. But I'll betcha HDs are sprouting up every 50 goddamm miles.

We might as well just pull our own pants down, bend over our own desk (not even our lawyers'), and just shove in the biggest object we can possibly shove up there, as far as it will go. Repeatedly.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Damn..thats one I never knew about.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Dave was an ok guy. One day he came by my shop and said I got you a tap extraction machine and I told him I was short on money right then . He said take it and pay me when you can. He also would let me poke thru his piles of stuff. He would say look in that corner under that stuff and most times I would find what I was looking for. Jim

Reply to
Jim Sehr

No, I haven't been to Hurlbert, except to fly in there one time on a mission moving some Guard or Reserve Army troops during an excerise of some sort. I remember it because I had a Captain on board who was drunk and we had some problems with him. I recall havaing to restrain him with tie-down straps until we got to the end and the MP's hauled him off. Guess that was the end of his career.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

If it wasn't, it should have been. Like the two officers at Ft. Greely who drew a tactically equipped jeep from the motor pool, a couple M-16 from the armory and went rabbit hunting in 'Buffalo Drop Zone', a restricted area. One of them fired at a rabbit sitting near the jeep and hit a rock. The round ricochet and hit the gas tank, setting the jeep on fire. That started a forest fire that required every person they could round up to go fight the fire. The last time I saw either of them, they were sitting back to back in the bed of a pickup truck and surrounded by MPs.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

early 50's.

a B-36 crash

runways in the

only a couple

That's a good one, "little rubber flag". The Army officer probably couldn't figure that one out. :-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler