Non-detergent kerosene?

It was suggested that I clean my skungy windows with a diluted solution of this. Just some in some warm water. The guy swears by it. Is this what they have at HD? Any difference between non-detergent and the other types?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Regular window cleaners are fine. Some oldfashioned solutions use ammonia or white vinegar, if the aroma isn't bothersome.

Kerosene is not compatible with the putty that seals most windows, I wouldn't use it under any circumstances. And your friend might be confused, kerosene doesn't mix with water.

Reply to
whit3rd

Regular window cleaners are fine. Some oldfashioned solutions use ammonia or white vinegar, if the aroma isn't bothersome.

Kerosene is not compatible with the putty that seals most windows, I wouldn't use it under any circumstances. And your friend might be confused, kerosene doesn't mix with water.

reply: Years ago, a customer of mine always had the shiniest Edsel. I said it was a lot of years ago. He washed it with water which he added a cupful of kerosene and then used Bar soap and the liquid wash the car. I never tried it, but he did get a mix with soap and the car was always shiny, even after the paint had faded.

Reply to
Bill McKee

Kerosene diluted with warm water? I don't think so. Kerosene & water don't mix. Unless you & I don't mean the same thing by "kerosene".

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

What's the chemical reaction if you mix ammonia water (NH4OH, a strong base) with white vinegar (acetic acid solution)?

I know NH3 + HCl -> NH4CL (sal ammoniac), but what about NH3 + CH3COOH? I don't remember enough from HS chem. to do this by hand.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ammonium acetate.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Ammonium acetate!

:-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I found out about that trick as an 18 year old. The shiny metallic paint on the car I bought faded very rapidly as the kerosene wore off over a few weeks.

Reply to
Nik Rim

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 13:55:34 -0800 (PST), the infamous whit3rd scrawled the following:

Vinegar and ammonia are the top 2, er, contaminants of water for window washing. If you want to get latex paint off, go over it first with denatured alcohol on a rag. Works like a charm!

Steel wool still works well, as do razor blades. Just be careful.

-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks! Rich

Reply to