Leeson 3 phase motor wiring

I've got a spare 3 phase Leeson 1-1/2 hp motor I need to test out and
use on a temporary project. Of course the wiring diagram is missing. It
has 6 leads numbered 1 through 5 and a #8. I know what to do with 9
wire units, this one is very likely a single voltage unit, 208/230 volt.
What is the most likely wiring configuration? I can guess but I usually
need to replace a fuse or two before I get it right.
Reply to
RoyJ
Roy,
Are you sure you don't mean 6 leads numbered 1through 6 and a #8 lead which is ground ?
If this is so then std. hookup should be: line 1 to (1 and 2) together; phase 2 to (2 and 4) together; phase 3 to (3 and 5) together.
Diagrams found at:

Bob Swinney
I've got a spare 3 phase Leeson 1-1/2 hp motor I need to test out and use on a temporary project. Of course the wiring diagram is missing. It has 6 leads numbered 1 through 5 and a #8. I know what to do with 9 wire units, this one is very likely a single voltage unit, 208/230 volt. What is the most likely wiring configuration? I can guess but I usually need to replace a fuse or two before I get it right.
Reply to
Robert Swinney
Thanks for the link. The Leeson site was much less helpful.
I think you meant "line 1 to (1 and 6) together" but that still doesn't seem right on this motor. I won't have a chance to look at it some more until tomorrow. Think I'll get the sensitive ohm meter out and check things more closely.
I need to make some sort of switch or starter relay. I just hate plugging 3 phase twist locks in under load. :)
More later.
Robert Sw> Roy,
2 to (2 and 4)
RoyJ
Take a look at
Scroll down to "Electrical - Phase Converter Information" then to "Induction Motors and Phase Converters". There you will find some examples of start and run circuits that will be much safer than plugging twist locks in under load.
Bob Swinney
Thanks for the link. The Leeson site was much less helpful.
I think you meant "line 1 to (1 and 6) together" but that still doesn't seem right on this motor. I won't have a chance to look at it some more until tomorrow. Think I'll get the sensitive ohm meter out and check things more closely.
I need to make some sort of switch or starter relay. I just hate plugging 3 phase twist locks in under load. :)
More later.
Robert Sw> Roy,
2 to (2 and 4)
Robert Swinney
I wasn't seriously thinking about just plugging it in! This project is slated to have a VFD after I find a suitable motor so this is just temporary hookup for speed and power draw tests. I'll have to dig in the projects box for a 3 pole relay. I know I have a multipole toggle switch with suitable ratings but I'm not comfortable with doing testing with it. Fingers get too close to the source of the magic smoke.
I picked up several boxes of various relay's, control panels, motor starters, etc. Suppose I should do an inventory.
Robert Sw> Take a look at
Scroll down to "Electrical - Phase Converter Information"
examples of start and
is ground ?
phase 2 to (2 and 4)
RoyJ
An update.
I got a chance to look at it more carefully. 1 to 2 reads 1.1 ohm. 3 to 4 reads 1.1 ohm. 5 and 8 read nothing to anything. I'll pull it apart, see if there is a burned or open winding but I suspect it is toast.
RoyJ wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
What does 4:1 read ? is it a delta or a wye and are 5 and 8 center taps or taps on two windings ? - e.g. 7 reads xx to 1...
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

RoyJ wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
Any one want to do an "I should have told you so"????
I was told the offending motor was a 3 phase unit. I needed a 3 phase for the project, I BELIEVED the motor was a 3 phase. So I conveniently ignored the cap in the bump on the case. And I even ignored the starting switch to the cap when I tore it apart.
Turned out to be a dual voltage, cap start, 208/240v, single phase with all leads brought out to the outside like a 3 phase.
RoyJ wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ