Leveling Lathe how important?

think of an odometer in your car. On these mics the numbers click around in the windows. eliminates the "off by .025" (one turn) problem. Unka George (George McDuffee)

...and at the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased, and the epitaph drear: ?A Fool lies here, who tried to hustle the East.?

Rudyard Kipling The Naulahka, ch. 5, heading (1892).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Jim, Your post does not make me feel good:(

I am 5 years into this hobby [with 3 lathes now] and I can't imagine when I would WANT to hold .001" over 10" length.

All I do in cut threads and shoulders on rifle barrels, and make other tooling for my shop.

Getting .001" over 6" on a lathe or mill takes extra time and everything must be done just right.

And I will be darned if I can imagine how leveling a lathe would have an important effect.

I would like to raise my expertise an make glands for O r> >

Reply to
Clark Magnuson

Well some folks do. The issue of making a lathe turn and bore to that level of accuracy is not that tough. I think there are folks on this ng who do it all the time. But setting a new machine up, so that all the accuracy that was built into it, is available to the user, is a requisite.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Just be aware of one thing: "When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Once you get a decent feel for your lathe, you'll find innumerable things to build and fix that were simply out of your ken before. I never used a lathe before I bought one, and now can't figure out how I lived without it.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh