LH Thread Kits

Folks, I was reading the thread on a person needing a rod threaded both RH and LH and it got me to thinking. I have an occasional need for LH threads and address the need on a case-by-case basis. Is there such a thing as buying a set of LH threaded taps and dies for SAE and metric, just the same as one can buy RH? I've seen individual taps and dies for sale and the prices add up fast if one were to buy a set piecemeal. I'd like to buy a kit or two and just have them around when I need them. However, due to the limited market, I certainly could see how the costs could be an issue.

Thoughts? Sources?

--George

Reply to
George

wws

Bob Swinney wrote: Thoughts: LH taps and dies exist.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^ Ir looks to me like the intent of George's original question has become obscured. I don't know the answer, so I will restate the question :-), and give a few thoughts.

Can money be saved by buying a set of left-hand taps and dies, as opposed to buying them piecemeal, as needed?

Every tap and die set I have ever bought ended up being incomplete, due to breakage and loss. And the ones I end up with are the ones I never use. Unless the set is priced SUBSTANTIALLY lower than the sum of the individual prices, chances are you will spend more on the set than just the individual pieces you actually use.

From a marketing standpoint, there is little incentive for the supplier to offer sets at a bargain price, since there is so little demand.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

It sounds like my best bet is piecemeal. I've experienced the same thing as Leo - you start with a solid kit and then you wind up with lots of stuff in there as stuff breaks, wears out, etc.

It sounds like they are too odd to be sold in sets. I was just wondering.

Thank you for the input.

--George

Reply to
George

Reply to
George

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Nice try -- but not quite right. Those "sets" are sets of three taps of one size, a starting tap, a plug tap, and a bottoming tap.

I think that George wanted a set of taps from 0-80 through 1"-8 (or perhaps a somewhat more restricted range).

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yes, that seems correct.

The notion of purchasing 'sets' of taps and dies leads one almost invariably to the idea that one can obtain a bargain by doing so.

I think this is often the perception because most manufacturers sell threading sets that are pretty much inferior steel. Sort of like the 'General" or "Ace" hardware brand. But by comparing them with a reputable maker like greenfield or sossner, the purchaser has to say 'look what a bargain this is, I can get a whole set for what it would cost me to buy one or two sizes in the brand name stuff.

Turn it around and imagine that you are the manufacturer of quality tool steel, and somebody in your management says, look, we can sell these dies for ten dollars apiece, but if we bundle them together in this nice fancy case, we can sell them for 8 dollars each!

That person is going to get kicked out on his tail *real* fast. Unless the purchaser shows up and says, 'I want to buy 100 pieces of the same size die,' then they're going to get a price break possibly.

Jim

jim rozen

The idea -- but not the reality, usually. :-)

Another nice brand is TRW -- and I lucked into a full set of taps (all three shapes) and dies from 2-56 through 1"-8 from an eBay auction. There was no photo, and I took a chance on it, and was quite pleased by the result. I'm not sure that any of the taps or dies had ever been used from that set. There is one size missing -- apparently from the factory, since there was a round ring of plastic in the recess for the die, and that size was not listed on the table of contents. :-)

Most of the good sets which I've seen or owned were housed in wood which had been routed to make the proper shapes to hold the taps, dies, and holders.

Plastic sets are a sure sign of junk in my mind. (The TRW set was in a flat metal box, fitted with a gray molded foam with all the cavities in place.)

I must admit to having a plastic set -- bought from an ex co-worker, which contains metric taps and dies. I don't expect to use them often, but just for that emergency single threading job, they *may* do. Any size which I use, I plan to buy good taps and dies for as the need occurs.

And for the most common metric sizes, I have the HUOT index of gun taps and the corresponding tap drills, which reduces the chance that I'll ever use those in the plastic kit. :-)

And no fancy case. :-) I've got some boxes which came with five of the same die, which suggests that they were sold in such lots at one time at least.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I bought a "set" of LH taps from Rutland when they had one of their blowout sales about a year or so ago. The "set" was picked out by me from a list of taps they had in their catalog. I have never seen a real set in any of the catalogs I use.

As for the die......... I use my lathe. I know some don't have the luxury of one, but it is the 1st tool a serious metal worker should buy!!!!!!

It is the only tool that can "make parts for itself". I have repaired many lathes by using itself to make parts for itself, when another one was not available.

But........... LH threads are so rare, the real only way to get a set is buy them as you need them.......... or find a smoooooookin' deal like I did.

And don't scrimp on the money as stated above. A good quality ground thread tap will last a lifetime............ if treated correctly.

Jim

Reply to
jimjim