Link to my WR Smith skeleton clock (finally finished)

Hi Group,

I built this clock as a 50th anniversary gift for my Parents. I had the thing up and running (but not polished...still looked good) and I invited them out to my house last April to see it. My Mom was in the later stages of Parkinson's, and in a wheelchair. She couldn't get up to take a close look, but she loved it! My Dad, too. Soon after, they moved to North Carolina to a retirement community. Sadly, my Mother was very ill from the start down there and she passed away in July. I'm just glad she had a chance to see the clock. It hung on my wall keeping excellent time until just before Christmas. I was going south to see my Dad over the holiday, so I spent a couple weeks polishing and lacquering the brass and finishing the walnut base. I installed the clock on the wall of my Father's apartment the day after Christmas. He tells me it's running good. I really enjoyed building the clock. In fact, I got Bill Smith's Grasshopper Skeleton clock book about a month ago. I am indebted to many members of r.c.m. for bits of advice I picked up from you whenever I got stuck along the way. Thanks too, to John Shadle of onlineclockbuilding.com for answering a couple questions about gear cutting that had me stumped. It was also from his site that I got the instructions for building gear cutters. They work great and it's worth a trip to his site to see his beautiful work.

Thanks all, Nok

Reply to
Dave Edwards

Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing this.

How many hours did it take to complete the project?

Robert

Reply to
Siggy

Dave - very well done. Nice way to do the pictures as well!

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Dave Edwards wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Very nice clock, very nice work! Thanks for sharing it.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Very nice, Dave! Thanks for sharing.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Reply to
JR North

Gorgeous! And, my condolences on the passing of your mom.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I stand in awe, humbled. Great work!

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R

The renowned clockmaker, W.R. Smith has a web site at:

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Sorry. After posting the URL I checked it and found it is not available. I should have checked it first. I got it from some correspondence with WR Smith a little less than one year ago.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Indeed!

Marvelous work!!

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Bob Smith is quite a character. I needed to call him twice regarding some problems I was having. The second time I called was regarding how heavy I should make the weight tube. I was trying to 'engineer' a solution to the problem. I figured I needed to double the amount of weight needed to just make it run without a pulley (as I was doing during testing), add the pulley and then add a little more weight to be on the safe side. His answer to that was; "Just make the thing as heavy as you can because you never know what the hell's going to happen." Moral? Clock making is not necessarily engineering. Nok

Reply to
Dave Edwards