Liquid metal filler for repairing shafting?s

I heard of something once that worked like form-a-thread I believe. You put a paste on a worn area of a shaft and when it cured you could machine it back to the original diameter. We have a shaft in an old horizontal mill. One end is worn about .030 and fits into a bearing. They have been running this machine slotting screws for years but I want it fixed. This seeems like the easiest way if it works.

Reply to
clannorm

I'd think you'd be a lot happier if you took out the shaft, turned down the worn area and sleeved it. There's an article in one of the recent home shop machinist magazines detailing how to fix worn shafts. I could look it up but I don't have it handy here at work.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Check out the Yellow Pages for " metal spray". There are a number of industrial processes that are used to build up worn shafts. The shaft is usually set up on an old lathe and a powdered metal mixture is trickled into an oxy/acetylene flame. The flame drives the metal onto the preheated shaft where it sticks quite well. The shaft is then machined back as usual. For a cheap & nasty solution Google" LocTite" for a product called "bearing tight" . Its not perfect but its better than a wobbling shaft

Reply to
Tom Miller

Is this the same thing as "spray-welding"? If so, yes, I've seen shafts fixed with this and they looked great.

I've used that with success, but it was on a low-load, low-speed application. Beats using J-B Weld or something, though.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Lab Metal by Alvin Products. Easy to find on the web. I got a 24oz can of it for about 25 bucks at a local fastener supplier. You can build up all sorts of things. The putty isn't a glue or adhesive, FWIW, and it seems to have aluminum as the filler. Cures to the consistency of lead or similar. You can machine it and all that, too. Industry uses it for filling holes and pits in castings and welds. Sort of a heavy duty bondo in that application. Excellent stuff. There's a high temp version of the same stuff.

Reply to
carl mciver