Locking carriage/slides on a manual lathe

Awl--

I have a 13x40 Enco, but set up really nice--x,yDRO, snap handle 5C, Aloris, cam-lock chucks, new bearings, really kept nice by the original owner. You'd almost think it was American-made. In fact, the owner did so much work on it, he taped "Made in America" over the "made in china" tag! :) Also, the bed is closer to 50", past the nose!

However, I don't see the traditional lockdown screws on the carriage or cross-slide. Am I just missing something? Is it possible that some lathes simply don't have these? If this is so, what do one do? For the carriage, I could see clamping blocks on either side of the carriage, down on the ways. Improvising a lockdown on the crossslide seems more elusive.

Any idears??

-- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Mike Berger

My EMCO lathe cross slide has a screw on the side that will press the gib tightly and this will lock it. Maybe yours has this, also. I replaced the origional screw with a long socket head cap screw so I could find it when the compound is turned so it covers the area.

Paul

Reply to
pdrahn

As one would expect on a lathe 40" between centres.

If it has a separate feedshaft, engage the halfnuts to secure the carriage for facing. As for "traditional lockdown screws on the cross-slide" Any examples?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Well, by "traditional" I mean an easily accessible screw(s) that will lock it down. Paul above cited his emco on the gibs, which is how I think Hardinge chuckers work as well. The Clausing Colchester roundheads have lock down screws--not sure if they work on the gibs or elsewhere.

-- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

My Enco 1024 has a square-head bolt head at the right rear, top of the carriage to lock it down. The manual for the 110-3110 seems to show one on the near side. What model do you have?

Reply to
Rex B

OK-- Found the problems. My model is a 110-1340 (13x40).

Actually, your reference to the "right rear" got me looking a little more closely back there. And in sleuthing locking alternatives, I was going to run a round rod behind and along the bed, and link this rod somehow to the carriage, to create a stop of sorts.

I then noticed holes in the *back* of the carriage (that rests on the back ways), which take 8x1.25mm screws, which will lock on the vertical face of the back ways. You would *never* see these by casual inspection. So the carriage problem is solved! And not a bad way to lock the carriage. I am going to put nylon between the screw tip and the ways.

As for the cross-slide, it seems that the Y encoder/glass is covering these screws, which apparently tighten the gibs. However, by bolting aluminum block to the carriage where the follower normally bolts, and suitably threading for add'l screws, I can basically lock the slide similarly, just from the other side, with the screws hitting the outside of the slide, not the gibs. But with the same effect.

I am in fact extraordinarily happy with this lathe (1992 vintage)--positively spoiled by the Aloris tooling, DRO, and snap handle, as well as the cam-lock chucks. Not the brute strength/rigidity of the Clausing Colchesters I've worked on, and I could nit-pick a bit here and there, but overall a pleasure to use--largely cuz the previous owner got rid of all the bugs.

Soon, tho, I'll be getting a 13x40 CC real cheap (snap handle too!), but which will need some work on the carriage. It will be interesting to do A/B comparisons.

Oh yeah, did check the manual, as per one poster. Not at all helpful, but, pretty hilarious, linguistically speaking.

Appreciate the feedback.

-- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®