Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

Jan 24, 2006 9:00 pm US/Pacific

One Killed In Bakersfield Botched Home Invasion

(AP) BAKERSFIELD, Calif. A botched home invasion robbery Tuesday in Bakersfield left one suspect dead and two others under arrest.

Bakersfield police say three men tried to break into the home of Norman Laxson, 71, and his wife Ramona, 69.

That turned out to be a grave error. When the dust settled, one of the suspects was dead, and another was in front of the Laxson home suffering from gunshot wounds. A third suspect was caught a short time later.

Laxson suffered some cuts but his wife was unharmed.

On monday at 9:49 P.M. officers of the Bakersfield Police Department responded to the 9900 block of Kearney Hills Drive regarding a report of shots fired. While enroute, the call was updated to a call of an armed home invasion robbery in progress.

Officers arrived on scene and learned that 3 suspects at least one of which was armed with a handgun attempted to rob an elderly husband and wife couple inside their residence. The male victim fired several rounds from a handgun at the suspects during the robbery striking two of the suspects. The male victim sustained moderate injuries as a result of being assaulted by the suspects during the incident.

Officers located one of the suspects deceased from gunshot wounds in the front yard of the victim?s residence. A second suspect was also still at the scene suffering from gunshot wounds. The third suspect initially fled on foot but was captured near the neighborhood by responding officers shortly after the incident unfolded.

The second suspect and the victim were transported to local hospitals for treatment for their injuries. A handgun was located near the deceased suspect. The identities of the involved parties are not being released at this time. Detectives responded to the scene and are currently investigating the incident.

Elderly man shoots robbery suspects to protect his wife

By STEVE E. SWENSON, Californian staff writer e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@bakersfield.com

A 71-year-old Bakersfield man responded to his wife?s plea for help by shooting at three home invasion robbery suspects, killing one and wounding a second, Bakersfield police reported today.

Norman Laxson, who has sold guns online, rushed to the aid of his

69-year-old wife, Ramona, as she was confronted Monday night at her front door by the suspects, according to police and an Internet search.

Police responded to the 9:48 p.m. incident and found Laxson bleeding from multiple cuts as he was seated just outside his front door, the department reported.

Next to him was Jose Covarrubias, 18, who was on the ground with multiple gunshot wounds, police said.

Nearby, was Jermaine Dabbs, 24, who was dead from a fatal gunshot, police said. A loaded handgun was located next to him, police said.

Laxson was injured in a struggle with the third suspect, a 17-year-old boy who attacked Lawson after his buddies were shot, police said. The boy wrestled Laxson?s gun away from him, police said.

(the firearm was empty..revolver)

The youth ran away but was arrested a short distance from Laxson?s house in the 9900 block of Kearney Hills Drive, police said. That?s in Rosedale near Brimhall Road and Calloway Drive.

Covarrubias was in stable condition at a local hospital, police said.

He and the youth were arrested on charges of robbery, conspiracy, assault with a deadly weapon and murder, police said.

The murder charge stems from the state?s felony murder rule in which murder charges can be filed against suspects in a felony during which someone was killed, even if the suspects didn?t actually fire a weapon.

Laxson was also treated at Kern Medical Center for his injuries and he was in fair condition Tuesday morning, a nurse said.

His wife was not hurt, police said.

Dabbs has a long criminal record from 2000 to 2004, including theft of a firearm, battery, trespassing, several thefts and disrupting a school, according to records in Kern County Superior Court.

He recently got out of prison from a 2-year term he receive in the gun theft conviction, records indicate. Covarrubias has no record as an adult in Kern County Superior Court.

Local comments in an opinion poll about the shooting. We tend to have a hard assed population around here...... "Pax Americana is a philosophy. Hardly an empire. Making sure other people play nice and dont kill each other (and us) off in job lots is hardly empire building, particularly when you give them self determination under "play nice" rules.

Gunner

What a nice story. Thanks. Keep us posted on whether this Larson gets sued, and what the outcome would be.

Ignoramus16163

Yes indeed, let us know how many years the homeowner (and his wife) gets. :\

Reply to
Mark Jones

Sigh... yet another death caused by guns in the hands of civilians.

But hey, if he saved his TV from be> Jan 24, 2006 9:00 pm US/Pacific

Reply to
Mike Berger

You are a loser and an idiot . The fact that I have handguns and pack 90+% of the time has saved my life several times . In Tennessee , if someone comes into your home uninvited (break-in) it is assumed they mean to do you serious bodily harm . If I had to wait for the police , I'd be dead ... therefor , I keep a loaded shorty 12ga pump under the bed , a loaded SKS (with several spare clips) leaned against the headboard , a loaded with spare clip .45 in my nightstand - and the bad boys in my (Memphis) neighborhood *know* I'm armed to the teeth . They leave me alone now ... and I didn't even have to shoot any of them . Something about staring down the bore of that 12 has made them decide to find easier targets .

Reply to
Snag

I have hard times regretting death of Jermain Dabbs or the injuries of Jose Covarrubias... If I lived in Bakersfield, I would be glad to see all three of them dead.

Ignoramus16163

A dead criminal is a net-improvement to society.

Riiiight. Because he just wanted the stuff, and wasn't a threat to the people in the home he broke into, is that it? News flash: criminals aren't stupid. They know the risks. If they decide to break into an occupied house, they've decided that they'll harm the occupants. The homeowner responded appropriately to the threat.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yet another idiot that can't figure out that guns protect both lives and property.

But hey, as long as the criminal trying to break in and rob/rape/whatever doesn't get shot, I guess those gun control laws are worth it.

NOT!

I'll score this one as "One more piece of human garbage disposed of, and good riddance."

Y'see, Mike, here's how it is: Regardless of what you and the other panty-wetting whiners like you care to say otherwise, if you're on my property without my express invitation/permission, you're trespassing, you're assumed to be there for "evil purposes", and you're subject to finding yourself sporting extra orifices should I decide that's how I feel like dealing with you. Don't like that? Here's your one and only viable option: STAY OFF MY PROPERTY. Period.

My kudos, and best possible wishes, to the Laxsons for doing *ALMOST* exactly the right thing. The only place they screwed up as far as I'm concerned was not having enough gun on hand to finish the job properly. (as in all three bad guys wearing toe-tags and occupying slabs at the morgue, rather than costing me money to treat, try, and imprison them once they've recovered sufficiently)

Reply to
Don Bruder

So you'd recommend waiting to see if they kill you FIRST before defending yourself? Are you getting professional help? ;)

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

exactly the right thing. The only place they screwed up as far as I'm concerned was not having enough gun on hand to finish the job properly.

(as in all three bad guys wearing toe-tags and occupying slabs at the morgue, rather than costing me money to treat, try, and imprison them once they've recovered sufficiently)<

I'd add to this: 1. If he'd had better security at the door (locks, peep hole, procedures, etc.?) he might have prevented entry. 2. Revolvers are OK for some people who may be older, weaker, not shoot enough, but he could have one with more rounds. 3. Don't screw with old folks: i.e. the shooting at Walmart in Albuquerque:

:)

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Are you sane? Shabtai

Mike Berger wrote:

Reply to
Shabtai Evan

Yet another life wasted. Unfortunately, the life was wasted long before he was killed.

I own a few guns. They're all locked up where they can't be easily reached. Not because I'm worried about what might happen to the criminals, but because I have small children. When my youngest is old enough, the guns will be more accessible.

In the mean time, I guess I'll have to cut the guy's head off with my corn knife. Would that make you feel better?

Reply to
Dave Lyon

I hear ya. Why, it's almost like that old guy valued his wife's safety more than that of the armed felons (I didn't see anything in the articles about a TV, but you're probably right about that, too).

What is this world coming to?

Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

snip

Too bad it happened in California. The old man will probably get life.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Hand guns are nice , shotguns better in home defense. When in home > shoot first then discuss the options later after the coroner leaves. No such thing as a good bad guy, unless he's DOA.

Reply to
Mike

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:43:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Too bad Norm didn't get all 3. I hope he buys an auto with a 15 round mag and gives the revolver to his wife. He could have nailed the guy who physically hurt him, too.

--- Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:24:51 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Don Bruder quickly quoth:

Perhaps karma will show Mikey the light. (see below)

And then get out to do it again. Of course, despite any infractions inthe prison, they're sure to be released after half their sentence is up. Maybe they'll move to Mike's area and rob Mike's house next. Wouldn't that be some kinda karma?

--- Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

One can hope, but one is strongly advised that it would be unwise to hold one's breath while waiting for such an occurence.

Indeed, it would be most appropriate. I like how you think :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

I hope you're just trolling. I grew up in the liberal 60s when it was always society's failure when a criminal killed someone. I don't want to go back to that era. If you truly believe that, you'd be happier in England.

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******
Reply to
RWL

On the other hand, the kid wrestled the gun away from him after he emptied it. Presumably if he'd had more ammo the kid wouldn't have had the chance. But if Norm got off 6 rounds and then the kid grabbed the gun, the kid would have 9 rounds for ole Norm.

Reply to
Rex B