Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

Because ownership of guns by the people is protected constitutionally.

________~._____ !\ ---------_:~ ____===_:-----W====!==____ }W ____-----\: /"| | ~~~~~ ~~~~~~ -~~ ||~~ \ \ ~ \_\

``A well regulated militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.''

Reply to
Ignoramus30730

Of course not, Cain had to invent a gun to kill Able ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

How much higher?

"Many" is how many as a percentage of gun ownership?

Yes, although I can't see the relevance.

Reply to
Tom

You belong to a well regulated militia? Yeah right. Where does it say some are to excluded, as some are?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Yes, we do.

Not sure exactly what you mean by that sentence fragment, but consider this - the definition of "militia" in the US today, was established in the early 20th century. The definition of "militia" as used in the US Constitution is, in effect, all able-bodied males not in the military. Oh, and "regulated" is another one that revisionists try to distort in this context. It's regulated as in kept regular - well practiced, not regulated as in lawmaker-regulation. That also is a relatively recent usage of the word which doesn't match the meaning when this was written.

You don't understand. I don't expect you to; subjects of the Queen never do.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Because people with more trust in the goodness of government allowed a singularly useless intrusion on their freedom. Let bad drivers pay the price for their stupidity and leave those of who both know how to drive safely and do alone.

What licensing scheme has provably prevented even _one_ auto accident?

Reply to
John Husvar

LOL, so women & the infirm, by the established definition are excluded from firearm ownership? However 71 year olds are considered sufficiently able-bodied enough for the military? Well that certainly eases the shortage of manpower in the military.

I understand that you have difficulty with the subject and by way, the only people of UK citizenship are subjects of the Queen.

I understand that I can own a machine-gun, I bet you can't.

Reply to
Tom

Bloody hell, I better put some shades on, the glow from your neck is even apparent down here!

Reply to
Tom

Nice, thinly veiled name-calling no less! Well, it's a compliment and so, probably not true.

Can you answer the question? (I'm not sure anybody can, really.)

BTW: I'm quite proud of the color of my neck.

It got that way by dint of hard work and quantifiable, and highly paid, performance doing 3-D work (Difficult, Dirty, Dangerous) before Progressive MS took me out of the full-time workforce.

Q: How do you tell a redneck cripple? (Hey, he's a redneck! He wouldn't say disabled, differently-abled, physically challenged, etc, etc.)

A: By all the old wheelchairs, up on blocks in his basement -- or under the trailer. :-)

Reply to
John Husvar

I do indeed belong to militia, which is the body of all armed people.

Ignoramus30730

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:53:02 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Rex B quickly quoth:

And since Norm took the other two down, I figure he'd have also nailed the the third. The kid would have been continuing to duck and run if Norm had continued his shooting those 9 extra rounds, plus Ma's 6.

...and his wife, but the 3 perps were already planning that considering the armed hot-prowl breakin.

- Better Living Through Denial ------------

Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Reply to
ljaques

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:39:53 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Mike Berger quickly quoth:

Aw, come ON, Mike. The guys can plainly see/hear that YOU ARE HOME, they knock down your door (your wife screams to you) and they enter with 2 other guys (armed with 1 or more pistols) and YOU think they're only after _property_? Why would they be armed if they just wanted to grab property? Why would they pick a house with people at HOME if they were after property alone?

You truly need to buy a clue, dude!

- Better Living Through Denial ------------

Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Reply to
ljaques

You'd have to go back and look at the debate at the time auto licensing came into being, but I suspect at least one purpose was to raise revenue. I don't know why my vehicle needs a license; I don't get anything specific for my money. Once I've proved to the state that I am competant to drive a vehicle, I don't know why I should keep paying for the privilege of having a drivers license. Lets end licensing for vehicles and drivers. Use gas taxes to pay for roads and enforcement.

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******
Reply to
RWL

US Citizens can own machine guns. One of the guys at our gun club here in central PA has a 9 mm one with a silencer. It's a pleasure to shoot next to him. All you hear is the sound of the action cycling. It sounds like a staple gun. It requires a Class III permit. The machine guns themselves are limited in supply making them expensive. IIRC the permit costs $200 and the machine gun and the silencer are licensed separately. There's a high hassle factor in getting the permits.

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******
Reply to
RWL

Why stop there, why not apply the same philosophy to pilots' licenses too? I mean to say, prove that you can get a jumbo off the deck would be sufficient, let's face it any mug can land a plane one way or other.

Tom

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Hmmmm..... Well, I guess that particular 71 year old was sufficiently able bodied.

Does everyone need a gun? Heck no. But you scatter a few around, and perhaps you end up with a small decrease in crimes overall.

It is a mindset. Do you EXPECT somone else to take care of your needs? Or, do you EXPECT to take care of your own needs?

Reply to
Doug

Amen to that. Had that been me, what should I have done? Dialed 9-1-1? Clue: A couple of years ago, the house burned to the ground. Fire department response time was 45+ minutes. Not due to any delay or other fault of theirs, but due to the sheer distance and terrain that has to be covered to get from there to here. I can't drive to the nearest fire station in my semi-sports-car in under half an hour. Getting fire trucks with their loads of water up here in *ONLY* 45 minutes is doing *REAL* good. For cops, response time would be a *MINIMUM* of 30 minutes - even if they dropped everything to come running instantly. Probably longer. Again, due to the sheer distance that has to be covered. By the time they arrive, I'm a cooling corpse if that's what the "goblins" have in mind.

No, thanks, and oh-so-sorry, but expecting 9-1-1 to haul my hash out of the ashes just ain't anything like realistic, grasshoppa, and if I'm anything, it's a realist.

That being the case, should it ever occur, I expect to deal with the situation as needed by conditions as they develop, and if need be, call the cops afterwards to make an official report. If that means someone(s) gets shot - perhaps fatally - then that's what it means. That's the chance you take when you're on my (clearly posted) property without my invitation/permission. In such a situation, until *I* deterimine otherwise, you're assumed to be a "hostile", and subject to treatment as such under my rules of engagement, which are quite simple: Whatever I feel I need to do to keep me and mine safe is what constitutes legal - deadly force is authorized, the consequences have already been considered fully ahead of time, and all weapons are hot. Behave accordingly - As in don't do anything to make me feel threatened - and you won't get shot. Better yet, don't be there in the first place and avoid such difficulties altogether.

As that perhaps overused, but still true, line goes, better by far to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Don, Do you live in Wallkill, NY area ? If so, we may know eachother. Take Care

Reply to
carneyke

Nope... Other coast. I've bumped into the fellow you're probably talking about on my occasional "What does the 'net know about me?" forays - If memory serves, he's one of 8 or 9 "Don Bruders" that I'm aware of across the country, and is about 15 years older than me.

In our "This *CAN'T* be coincidence - Can it???" department: I was once pulled over (but thankfully, not ticketed) by a Georgia cop whose engraved nametag proclaimed him to be "Don Bruder". No claims about the names being the reason I got to skate - Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't - The world will likely never know, and if I were him, I'd likely deny it if asked.

Of course, it may have been simple "self-preservation" - Why can I just see the courtroom scene on that one turning into something straight out of a Three Stooges or Abbott & Costello routine? :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

Ex?UÁnã6½û+æ?*§? 4@²?è¢H?A?]=-(q$±?H?ZQ¾¾??×A?Ar4ó?7ã{K?{SÐö?~Q?¶?Í÷t¾½Ü\\n¶ôÍùw?MA]O'\I¯¼ûÓxuV¹3û|ÒÈÞ _®?÷ùøAí?n?}^Þ}kÞïsÀÑÅïN(DÏÄOª?n¢±UB??Ô30?Iºl?mÅT{Õô8TF¡ÊÙ`4û£´?@kü0i®5b?%WÓÉ?ÑÉUo:?ù@ÆæÀO$N«© Qâ ªìLhY#à?¬

Reply to
Dave Hinz