Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

Down 18% last I heard

Rex Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Especially when you consider that the guys are probably volunteers, and weren't _at_ the station when the whistle blew. They had to wake up, get dressed, drive to the station, gear up, get into a truck, and _then_ drive out. BTDT. Repeatedly.

Yes, but at least the bad guy is safer. Somehow, Don, you and I are supposed to feel good about that. (shrug)

Reply to
Dave Hinz

But Larry, you don't understand. Mike trusts the 3 criminals more than he trusts the homeowner and his wife. Isn't that obvious?

What side _are_ you on, Mike?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Mike is a troll. Killfile him

Reply to
Rex B

Dad is 72 and probably one of the best rifle / pistol shooters around. Not as good as he once was ..... Sounds like the C&W song......

Reply to
carneyke

Ya', once maybe. If you walk away it's a good landing, if you can use the plane again, it's a great one. ;-) I hope your a pilot. If not, your a fool for making the statement that any mug can land a plane. Look on your pilots certificate, there is no expiration date. It never expires.But that doesn't mean you can just continue to fly for the rest of your life with not interacting with the autorities who grant you the privilidge to fly. I think the training I took to fly helped me become a better driver. I propose training drivers in a similar manner. Recurrent training and periodic check rides. It would save lives.

Reply to
Tom Wait

Agreed, about drivers' licences. The bar is far too low in every place I've been in North America. Most jurisdictions don't even test basic skills, such as learning how to use a freeway on-ramp, or recognizing low-traction situations.

The results of the low skills are made worse by the low level of enforcement of speeding, impaired driving and of road rage incidents. Unfortunately driving is treated as a citizen's right (even as a non-citizen's right, in the case of illegal aliens), rather than a revocable privilege

Reply to
Ted Bennett

"Ted Bennett" wrote >

Snip

Well stated. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

Ayup. Like I said: Not due to any delay or fault of theirs. Because I know him, I also know for a fact that it took the driver of one of the trucks that responded almost 15 minutes to get from his house to the station - Once again, sheer distance/terrain that had to be covered between point A and point B being the big "time-eater".

Makes *ME* feel all warm and fuzzy, that's for sure... NOT!

Call me a callous bastard, but simply I couldn't care less about his safety if I were assigned to work at doing so day and night. Quite bluntly, I value his hide far less than he obviously does - If he had a very high value of it, he'd have stayed on the other side of the posted signs. He didn't, and if he shows signs of getting "uppity" about my taking issue with him over it, he'll find out precisely how little I care about his ability to continue drawing breath - never mind how little interest I have in preserving his human and/or civil rights, which, as far as I'm concerned, he implicity waived when he crossed the property line without my OK.

It's *SO* easy to keep me from shooting you - or even pointing a thunder-stick in your general direction: All you gotta do is read the signs and not present yourself as a target - That's it... No tricks, no secret handshakes, nothing else. Just don't be where you aren't invited. Complex, huh? But the "Mike"s of the world just don't seem to get that little concept.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Is anyone that comes into your house uninvited a "criminal" who deserves to be shot? You are making a lot of assumptions besides the one that anyone coming into your house is a "criminal". That isn't always the case. I can think of many reasons why someone might barge into your house uninvited and didn't have the intent to do anyone harm. The only time that you have the right to use deadly force is when someone is threatening you or someone else with deadly force, otherwise they aren't a threat and don't deserve to be shot. As was previously stated, in most parts property damage or theft isn't grounds for killing someone. Only when you know for sure that someone has entered your house with malicious intent and is a credible threat can you legally harm them. Why would you otherwise?

I don't think anyone would argue that if someone came at you in your own house and tried to harm you that you wouldn't have the right to use any means at your disposal to defend yourself, including shooting them. The question is when it isn't that cut and dried. There are a lot of what ifs that would prevent you from legally using a gun against someone, even in your house. So, unless you are dead sure that you are in the right it's not only risky for you to shoot someone but most of the time it's morally wrong too.

I would add though that I would have no problem shooting someone that was a threat to me or someone else. Having just sat through a concealed carry class recently I can attest that the standard in California for using deadly force comes down to this: the reasonable apprehension of imminent death or danger. If that isn't the case you better think twice before shooting at someone.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Every time I hear that line muttered by someone it always turns out they are a moron.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Your scenario is one where the California standard for the use of deadly force otherwise known as R.A.I. D. (reasonable apprehension of imminent death) would definitely apply. In that case I'd say by all means blast away! And hope they aren't undercover cops.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Les'see, .. You barge into my house unknown, uninvited and with unknown intent ... I blow you away. At least I am a live moron. Don't try to test it in Oregon.

Reply to
Glenn

Are wives considered property in the USA ? I thought that was only in Moslem style countries.

As I understand the situation, the gentleman/victim/homeowner was defending his wife - who you insult by calling her " property " - from three cowardly armed criminals who broke into their home with the intention of robbing & injuring. possibly killing them. You are saying that he should not defend himself, a 71 year old and his 69 year old wife, against 3 young armed scum on the possible 1 in 10,000 chance that they would not hurt him or his wife? The scum were armed with guns and criminals will use them against their victims, that is the purpose of them carrying weapons.

Grow up Mike

By the way, have you sent a donation to cover the injured criminal's medical expenses ? Alan in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8 VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address

Reply to
alan200

Hawke uttered:

Many who speak that line (or one very like it) aren't aware of the proper usage, often attributed to the U.S. Marines. IMHO it is more aptly applied when waging war.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Lets hear a few of the many reasons someone can barge in to an occupied house without invitation.

I assume anyone barging in uninvited is there to do me or my family harm, if I'm armed when they come in they have about 1 second to ID themselves or start dodging bullets.

Reply to
Tom Wait

wrote> By the way, have you sent a donation to cover the injured

Maybe we should all donate a few bucks each to buy the old guy a gun with a little more fire power, 15 rounds of 10 mm maybe.

Reply to
Tom Wait

even though we are experiencing an economic boom, according to the White House, there doesn't seem to be any money for what seem like essential services. The reason is simple. We spend our country's tax revenue like fools.

In addition, all the money being printed to fund the war, and pumped into this country weakens the value of the dollar. You don't see the published cost of living numbers spiking upward because of the huge amount of trade dollars going to China. The present administration probably sees this as an advantage because the dollars leaving the country will help offset the rate of inflation in the U.S. as they will not be counted in the determination of the increase in the cost of living. But the purchasing power of the dollar is nevertheless, still reduced.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Don't bother trying to reason with "Hawke". Google his posting history for enlightenment. Short version: word games, evasion, and bullshit. He pretends to understand, and then when you start thinking he's reasonable, he goes back to the games.

Sorry (not really) Hawke, if I'm spoiling your little game.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If Norm's lady needs some inspiration, she should talk to Granny.

- Better Living Through Denial ------------

Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Reply to
ljaques