Just bought a Birmingham YCL-1236-GH Lathe. Now what?

I just bought me a YCL-1236-GH Lathe. Now what do I do? I need to learn how to use it. Any suggestions on books that may help or web sites with help.

Thanks, Kimball

Reply to
kimballt

Kimball,

I have a Birmingham lathe as well. Run it at all speeds for 10 or 15 minutes per and then change the oil to a straight 15 or 30 weight mineral oil (NOT detergent oil). You would not believe the amount of crap that came out of mine. I figured most of it was sand and junk from the headstock casting and some burrs off the gears. Runs quiet and smooth now.

I also dug the bondo off the removable section of the bed as a project in itself so as not to aggrevate myself when I really needed to remove it at a later date during a project. I also powder coated it red to remind myself that if the carriage is in this area to be careful.

Did you get the quick change Aloris style tool post? How about some carbide indexible tooling? Cool stuff and well worth the extra money. Look on Ebay for deals on the tooling.

It is sooooo nice to have a tight and straight lathe. Did yours come with a spec sheet that shows allowable dimensions vs actual measurements. All measurements I made showed their measurements were accurate. Nice to have confidence in the people that made your lathe.

I've done some really deep cuts in stainless, spring steel and aluminum at just about every speed without bogging the lathe or starting the bit chattering. Carbide tooling is cool as the hotter you run it the better.

Only thing that was difficult with this lathe was removing it from the back of my pickup and setting it where it was going to reside. Dang, that turkey is heavy for its apparent size.

I bought mine from Bills Tool Crib in Sparks, Nevada. 2 day shipping via a local freight line and he supplies larger than normal 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks with this lathe. (Check his catalog on the net to see if he still offers the same deal I got.)

Bart D. Hull

Check out your local school system. Most night adult classes have a Machine Shop Course.

Reply to
Service Tech