Lowering of lathe toolpost

Hi all, I have a Hafco AL340 lathe and I have a selection of tools that are about 3mm too high. I could cut each tool down or skim 3mm off the bottom of the tool post. Can anybody see any problems with lower the tool post. There seems to be quite a lot of metal there. Marc (AKA the tinkerer)

Reply to
Marc Hanssens

Hi all, I have a Hafco AL340 lathe and I have a selection of tools that are about 3mm too high. I could cut each tool down or skim 3mm off the bottom of the tool post. Can anybody see any problems with lower the tool post. There seems to be quite a lot of metal there. Marc (AKA the tinkerer)

Reply to
Colin French

Machine the tools down to 16mm which is the correct size  for the AL340or bye new ones, dont stuff up the tool postthe rachet wont  work on the tool postColin  "Marc Hanssens" < snipped-for-privacy@swiftdsl.com.au>

Reply to
Marc Hanssens

3mm too high. I could cut each tool down or >skim 3mm off the bottom of the tool post. Can anybody see any problems with lower the tool post. There seems to be >quite a lot of metal there.

I have a 7x10 and got some 1/2" toolbits with carbide inserts; they were all too high so I shimmed up the toolpost, stuck a cutter in the chuck, and milled down the bottom surface of the tool slot. The 1/2" bits go on one side, the old ones go on the other.

Works for me.

Reply to
jtaylor

3mm too high. I could cut each tool down or >skim 3mm off the bottom of the tool post. Can anybody see any problems with lower the tool post. There seems to be >quite a lot of metal there. I have a 7x10 and got some 1/2" toolbits with carbide inserts; they were all too high so I shimmed up the toolpost, stuck a cutter in the chuck, and milled down the bottom surface of the tool slot.  The 1/2" bits go on one side, the old ones go on the other. Works for me.
Reply to
Marc Hanssens