Machining a ball

This is a good e-mail also. I'd appreciate a copy. Love to see neat ideas like that preserved and explained.

Karl

Reply to
aslub

I made a mount for my Nuvi using a standard ball bearing for the ball - heated it up to remove some of the temper and drilled it and threaded it, and then made a shaft to fit and appropriate mounting bracketry to hold it where I wanted it. I can't imagine any reason to make the ball - you can order bearing balls in brass or various other materials as well off of ebay or any of the usual suppliers

snip

Reply to
Bill Noble

Done

Reply to
Don Foreman

I've done that too. Sometimes I don't want to pay $7 shipping and wait a week for something I can make in less than an hour. Being retired does tend to change one's attitude about time vs $$$.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Here's why I made my own ball - turning an aluminum ball to the accuracy needed for this job is fast and easy. I made the entire mount from scraps I had in stock, in about 2 hours, and that included a lot of getting in and out of the car for test fitting. The mount is an

1/8" plate about 2" square and curved slightly in both dimensions. Welded to that at an angle is a 3/8" coupling nut drilled and tapped for a locking screw. The ball shaft telescopes in the coupling nut. The plate is attached in the perfect spot with two-sided tape to some dash plastic.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE