Machining oilite

Any tips; I now have a lifetime supply (for me) of this stuff. The minimum purchase wasn't cheap...so I'd like not to waste it.

Reply to
_

sharp HSS, more rake than usual. The problem is smearing the pores in the metal closed. For I.D.s don't finish with a drill; bore the last cut.

At least for low RPM applications, this stuff lasts forever. I've got a dozen oilite bearings on my apple water bin dump, installed in 1988. I built spares at the time but I've never used one.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

That is because you have spares. Inside each device is a critical moment detector looking for a chance to put you in a bind. Having spare parts is the only way I know to defeat it.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Reply to
RoyJ

Dont forget that a shop cleaning can misplace those spare parts and the machine will sense when the storehouse has been messed with (Cleaned or dirtied depending on the machinist and shop)

I've misplaced more tools by "cleaning" than i care to think of

Reply to
Brent