Magnifying lamp with all metal base

I'm looking for something similar to that in the link below in the price range $40.00 - $70.00 **with an all metal base**. Any recommendations?

Gone through 3 or 4 from Staples and Office Depot that lasted no more than a few months because the base was made of plastic. Basically, the peg or stud on the base that fits in the mounting clamp just breaks off. After that they are useless unless one improvises. Online searches return many but it's difficult to tell what you're really getting even if you ask someone at the store.

Reply to
oparr

Why not machine a new base?

Gunner

Gunner

Last resort option. Probably it wasn't clear from my previous post but the lamp in the link has an all metal base, unfortunately it costs $110.00. So they're out there somewhere. Have one identical to it that cost me around $55.00 12 years ago but last night one of the members broke (due to rust). Was able to remove a member from one of the POS Staples lamps with the broken base and replace it so I'm good for now. But ideally I've always wanted two of these lamps to fully cover my work area.

Reply to
oparr

On 8 Apr 2005 08:22:32 -0700, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake:

One solution is to drill a hole in the table you're mounting it to. I have the $35 HF version of that lamp and it has lasted for years. It can be swaped into the assembly table, the indoor shop countertop, and the mortising bench, wherever I need it at the time.

Alternatively, fabricate (or have one fabricated) a metal mount for it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

$110 for one of those lamps is outrageous. I bought one a couple of years ago, with metal base, for $39 at Menards.

I think I've seen such lamps at JoAnn Fabrics. I don't know if they're metal or plastic, but it would be easy to check in the store. If they look good, then find a quilter or get on their mailing list. They send out 40% off coupons quite frequently to their "frequent shoppers". The coupons exclude sewing machines, but they do honor them for lamps. I bought an Ott "true color" lamp for my elex bench.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Mine came from Busy Bee a number of years ago for about Cdn$60. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I've got a few magnifying lights (though with incandescent bulbs) that are task lights essentially permanently mounted at various places in the shop. Made stands from 1/2" pipe bored out to take a bronze bushing to fit the peg on the lamp, screwed into a floor flange that in turn is screwed to the workbench.

Tove

Reply to
Tove Momerathsson

Have you looked at Waldmann?

It's been a while since I've checked but they used to sell demos or closouts on Ebay at pretty good prices. I picked up something like the Rll 122 T for around $30 that way a while back.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry