Metric speed handles?

--I've got a cheapo import 6" vise on my mill. Trouble is I can't fit a standard 3-handle "speed handle" to it because the protruding hex shaft is metric and smaller than the standard SAE handles. I've shimmed with brass strip to make the standard handle work but this is a genuine Mickey Mouse kludge. Has anyone seen a metric speed handle, or a nice little adapter that one can buy? --TIA,

Reply to
steamer

  1. Bore out a standard speed handle and press/loctite a cheap metric socket in the bore.
  2. Weld up a better handle with a socket as the hub...
    Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons

That's brilliant. And loctite has that sleeve-retaining flavor of loctite which should do the trick. But does it stick to a chromed socket?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That would be Loctite 640 Sleeve Retainer. I don't know if it would stick to chrome (you could always call a Loctite tech advisor). But there is another solution: use an impact socket, thus no chrome.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Ned Simmons wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.suscom-maine.net:

Ned, That is beyond slick, it's downright great. Even takes care of the 'I need to use my knee to clamp this while I hold it' situation. I am cross-posting this to amc, as I am sure some guys over there would be very interested in this.

Reply to
Anthony

Excellent job Ned! Please tell: how did you make the hoop?

Regards, Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Impact sockets turn nicely in a lathe. Start with a deep socket Bore hub of handle Turn OD of socket to press-fit. Part off to size Press into hub, with Loctite or the Permatex equivalent

Reply to
Rex B

Ned Simmons wrote: : 1. Bore out a standard speed handle and press/loctite a : cheap metric socket in the bore. : 2. Weld up a better handle with a socket as the hub... :

--Very slick; thanks for the idea! :-) Instead of Loctite I think I'll pin it in place by drilling between the intersection and pounding in a roll pin...

Reply to
steamer

Where is the suicide knob?

Reply to
john

Reid Tool Supply at

has all that stuff, or should have something that will work. Very good catalog to have, if you don't have one already.

Reply to
carl mciver

| > 2. Weld up a better handle with a socket as the hub... | >

| | | Excellent job Ned! Please tell: how did you make the hoop? | | Regards, | Michael

It looks like a high pressure o-ring, which are aluminum. My neighbor and my dad were facilities at a large chemical plant so whenever one came out (not reusable) they went home to become martin houses, propane burner frames, and a billion other things. Oilfield uses them, too, for just about all their piping.

Reply to
carl mciver

I think you're close. I believe it's some sort of sealing ring ring for a pipe flange. It's plated steel with an obround cross section and came in an auction lot with perhaps 15 assorted sizes from a shop that made custom pipe flanges. The shop wasn't making the rings--they may have been using them as gages when machining the flanges.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Thanks. The other nice thing about it is the high inertia makes it easy to quickly spin the vise open or closed, as long as you're careful to keep your fingers out of the spokes.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Good question. It might be a good idea to remove the chrome. I stripped the chrome from the socket in my homemade handle before welding with a carbide tool in the lathe.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

That must be a naval example. Nice concept - won't grab a pocket!

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

SNIP

Hey Carl,

WOW!!! Don't ever knock coincidence. My new Reid catalogue arrived in the mail yesterday!! Looking in the Index just now for "Speed, handles" gave speed vises on page 160. Getting ready to flip through the book(let) instantly gave Page 160, as there is hard-paper insert at that page!! Spider and Speed vise handles are on pages 158 and 159 (20 to 75 bucks).

Hard-paper insert turns out to be a "Request For Catalogue". Freebie too. Plus a low priced CAD Library advert that interests me.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Just scratch up the surface of the chrome with a coarse stone or abrasive paper. The locTite will grip fine. Epoxy works too. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

My 4000 lb Carolina engine hoist had a hex head on the end of the valve. I mig'd a t handle to the end of an old taiwanese socket and now I have good control over the valve.

Gunner

Leftwingers are like pond scum. They are green, slimy, show up where they are not wanted, and interfere with the fishing.

Strider

Reply to
Gunner

Looks like someone works in the oilfields....

Gunner

Leftwingers are like pond scum. They are green, slimy, show up where they are not wanted, and interfere with the fishing.

Strider

Reply to
Gunner

Ned Simmons wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.suscom-maine.net:

Ned,

That is so frickin kewl. Although I kept looking for the fuzzy dice hangin down from the head. :)

Sometimes ya just see a great idea and think "Why didnt I think of that!" This is one of those times.

You should submit that to the practical shop ideas in the machinist magazine.

I bet ya win hands down, er so to speak.

Bing

Reply to
Bing