Metric speed handles?

Goody! Haven't even had a chance to go through it yet.

Reply to
carl mciver

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in news:42576606$1_1@

127.0.0.1:

Or an elbow, knee, hip, the all important family jewels, or other body parts either.

Reply to
Anthony

Ned Simmons wrote: : 1. Bore out a standard speed handle and press/loctite a : cheap metric socket in the bore. --Good plan; just one catch: I've googled on 16.5mm socket and gotten ZERO hits on half a dozen search engines! If anyone's got a lead on where to get one I'd sure like to know! --TIA,

-- "Steamboat Ed" Haas : For some reason hung up on Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Mexican Oompah bands...

---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Reply to
steamer

never heard of such a beast. Whatever would you need a 16.5mm socket for??

11/16" won't fit?

- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

steamer wrote:

Reply to
Rex B
16.5 mm is not an ISO standard size, so you'll have a tough time finding it.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Rex B wrote: : never heard of such a beast. : Whatever would you need a 16.5mm socket for?? : 11/16" won't fit? --Well yes and no; I'd have to shim it, as it's .0379" too big, which gets me back to the original problem; i.e. too much slop in the handle... Maybe I could put the thing together, then pour in babbit or something, but then I'd never be able to get it back off.

-- "Steamboat Ed" Haas : For some reason hung up on Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Mexican Oompah bands...

---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Reply to
steamer

Are you sure that it isn't british-witworth? there is no 16.5 socket. Pat

Reply to
Pat Ford

--Could be damn near anything; import vise I've had for a decade or more; can't remember where I got it.. I just know that the caliper sez the hex on the vise is 16.5mm

Reply to
steamer

How about making a babbitt on a mock up version. Then if it is wood (purple heart or a high Si type) (might stand up better to the temps... - then drill it out and then split it ...

If you had a hole in the end, then a wheel puller could extract it - if so then maybe tapered shims and a jam fit. Wheel puller to extract when needed.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

lionslair at consolidated dot net wrote: : If you had a hole in the end, then a wheel puller could extract it (SNIP) --Aha! Will take a whack at this; stay tuned..

Reply to
steamer

Why not simply take a file to the hex? If you stroke it squarely and uniformly on all six sides, you should be able get it to 16mm -- or even

5/8" -- fairly easily.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

--Because I don't use the speed handle all the time; if I change the hex I won't be able to use the "conventional" handle any more..

Reply to
steamer