Identify Kurk mill vise?

I bought a old 6" mill vise which the owner said he thought it was a Kurk. There is no stampings on it. How can I identify it as a Kurk? Holds like a Kurk and it's not an Import. Also is there anyplace I can buy inexpensive jaws for this vise. Willing to swap some good diesel fuel injection stuff for any traders out there.

Reply to
Mike

Robert Swinney

If it's not an import . . . . and it looks like a Kurt, holds like a Kurt, walks like a Kurt, talks like a Kurt, smells like a Kurt, etc..etc, then it may be a Kurt. But OTOH, why would it be missing Kurt's characteristic blue metal tag? Don't worry about it - if it'll hold stuff square and tight, it may be a pretty good imitation of a Kurt.

You can buy genuine Kurt replacement jaws and other parts from J&L, MSC and others.

Bob (likes his 2 Kurtz) Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

if it works just as well does it matter where it was made?

Reply to
Brent Philion

No tag to identify it. Anything else to look for?

Reply to
Mike

Well, it would be nice to know for sure. Kinda like a car. If it get's you where you want to go, why does it have to be a V8?

Reply to
Mike

Assuming that you meant Kurt, the 3" and 4" versions have a casting number on the bottom of the vise. If yours has one, what is it?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Mike, I also have a unidentified Kurt style vise on my mill. Nice big

6".

Frankly..Im not planning on putting it on Ebay..nor is it something I wish to brag about in mixed company and as long as the jaws close evenly..(and they do) and aftermarket inserts fit (they do)..I dont see what difference it makes if its made by the Chinese Red Dragon Noodle and Machine Tool Collective, or Kurt.

But...if its eating you up..call Kurt and ask them how to ID it.

5280 Main Street NE Minneapolis, MN 55421 763-572-1500 Fax: 763-572-9878

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

I'll pull it off the mill as soon as I can. I know there is some numbers there.

Reply to
Mike

FWIW, my 4" Kurt has "D40 1" and "USA" in raised letters in a pocket on the bottom of the vise. An older 6" Kurt would probably have something like "D60".

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry