Vise stop

I cant figure out how this works in a Mill vise, and won't buy one to find out. I use a mill vise that has jaws that stick up 3/16 inch from the body but are tapered back so nothing can be clamped to them. Is that where it goes? anyone have a picture of one installed?

formatting link

Reply to
Stupendous Man
Loading thread data ...

Look on page 2531 of the McMaster-Carr catalog (online). About half way down it shows a picture.

formatting link
I bought one of these a few years ago from the Enco sale catalog. It was under six dollars at the time. I found it very useful for when I was doing multiple parts.


"Stupendous Man" wrote:

Reply to

It clamps on the top of jaws like this:

formatting link

Reply to
Ned Simmons

That is exactly how it goes. Make a replacement set of vise jaws without the bevel and it will work find. All mill vises which I have seen allow for replaceable jaws.

There are other kinds of stops as well. You can drill and tap into one end of a vise jaw, and use a machine screw to attach a piece of steel which will pivot out to become a stop, or pivot out of the way.

There are also stops which clamp to the T-slot and have a projection which can be adjusted to stop the workpiece.

The Kurt Anglock vises (at least the semi-newer ones) have a milled groove along the top of the jaw for the stop to attach to.

All in all -- first look at the problem, then design a solution for it. And consider the vise jaws as expendables. You can bolt on soft jaws (aluminum or a mild steel) and mill a pocket to hold a small workpiece precisely.

I've even gotten a 4" Kurt-II with jaws with magnets embedded to hold parallels in place while you change the workpiece.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.