Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden. Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear the jaybirds.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I accomplished the first two 'honeydos' using the hydraulic cart. Pulled an overgrown plant out by it's roots and popped a vestigal fence post out of the ground. The cart makes it *so* much easier. It was kind of weird to see that fence post raise up 'by itself' with no effort on my part. The machining, welding and grinding were worth it.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I am doing nothing, relaxing after fixing the Quincy compressor and setting up better compressed air system. Going to bed early etc. Will soon list a bunch of stuff on ebay.

This weekend I did some welding on a toddler tricycle, whose pedals started spinning in the front wheel hub. So I just welded the pedal axle to the hub.

Also made a toy railroad bridge for kids. You saw the picture.

But nothing right now. Time to go to bed.

Ignoramus23425

I rebuilt my kid's bed Sunday and yesterday. The original plan was to have both boys in one room on a bunk bed, and the second room as a playroom/guest bedroom. That didn't survive the first few bedtimes, so #2 son got the playroom -- and broke up the folding couch/bed.

So I had to splice in some tubing that was totally broken, and straighten and reinforce the other side that hadn't gotten quite so far.

He was so thrilled that it was back together, I think he may even refrain from jumping on it.

Aside from that I have a massive shortage of round tuits. I have a gate project that's waiting for enough backs to get healthy so I can flip it over and do the other side, and I've got a Cox .15 cylinder to machine (yes, still).

But the model airplane (with only bent wire for metalwork) is coming along nicely.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Depends on whether actual competence is required for metalwork.

I'm replacing the timing belt on my wife's '00 Intrepid, which requires removing the vibration damper. There's a special service tool for holding the damper in place while loosening the crankshaft bolt. Last time I used an old serpentine belt and a clamp instead of the tool, but this time I got ambitious....

Building a vibration damper holder requires cutting a six inch steel disk. So, I finished building a circle guide for my sabre today. The "universal" circle guide at Lowe's turned out to not be universal enough.

Unwinding the recursion, tomorrow I see if the circle guide will really help me cut a circle....

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I welded up some ANGLE IRON side rails on my old flatbed trailer.

We are moving out to the lake and it has proven a lot more usable with the sides on it.

Reply to
cavelamb himself

I''m still searching all over for some way to make the 4 ft long curl on the end of some .040 stainless to form a hood hinge for my 36 cadillac - it puzzles me to no end that this thing could be made in 1936 and no one I've contacted has a clue how to make it today - looks like either a roll mill or hammer mill job to me - no this is not a hinge with a pin, it is a typical interlocking spiral car hood hinge.

any clues?

Reply to
Bill Noble

Hah! - thats nothing.......as well as my usual one full day at school where I am learning fitting and turning, I rebuilt the engine in my Pitts special, and started on making a new airframe of my own design. Mind you, I had to invent the welding technology to do so and thus didn't do as much as I had hoped. But it will have other uses so I don't begrudge the time. Made a new micrometer as the one I had would fit around a particular casting (from my own foundry) that I was turning to size - no CNC, "Real Metalworkers" do it through sheer craftsmanship.

Oh, yes - and World Peace - making progress towards that, but as its Political OT, I cant reveal any details. Just stand by for the mainstream media announcements in the next few days.

And the week has 2 days to go - wonder what I will do tomorrow...

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
VK3BFA

Recommend cosmetic surgeon for nose abbreviation.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I haven't done jack shit lately beyond overhauling the treadmill.

I'm confident with MIG but I stil need to address E-field issues with TIG re my implanted cardioverter.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Gonna need to see some graphics on this one!

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Well, in Art Welding class, I am doing a Box sculpture sort of Bruce Beasley style. Took the wifes S10 Blazer to the do it yourself wash and washed off all the places with oil drips to look for the leak so I can sell it. And pulled apart the pull timer, to see why the cleaner is failing to function and tried a new timer I bought. New timer has a bad motor, old timer has a weak motor that will not drive it hard enough to flip the switch to off.

Reply to
Calif Bill

Cad Coupe? Boss of mine in high school had one of the 2 1936 Cad coupes in the SF Bay area.

Reply to
Calif Bill

Aligned a turret, replaced bearings in an abrasive saw, built a steel cabinet to fit test masters, put a remote handle and trigger on a roofing stapler, ...

I still have snow on the ground.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Re the implant. I am (not) looking forward to a "pacemaker" sometime in the next few years. I understand that is not what you have but was your research in any way relevant to pacemakers. Sure would hate to strike an arc and have my heart stop :-(

Cheers,

Bruce (bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce In Bangkok

Just made a new barrel vise for a friend who's building a new .223 on a custom action. It's to press the barrel into the receiver.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yes. Call my dad. He rolled his out on the Pexto machine and still has the dies.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Here's Dad's

Stupendous Man

Damn, I'm a total lightweight.

All I did was braze a bit of material onto the turnsignal supports for my dual-sport bike.

The turnsig is rubber-mounted with a pin in a hole allowing some mobility- so many rough miles offroad wore the hole and pin to an amazing degree. The holes were very worn, the pins were worn almost 1/4 of the way through.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

My CNC plasma project is near completion, just waiting for a few last parts. I just visited a new metal supplier in the area (new to me, not the area) and after drooling on the toys in their shop (such as a horizontal bandsaw you could just about drive a car into) I picked up some materials for some other projects on my drawing board at pretty decent prices.

Reply to
Pete C.