Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

Better be sure it's on the compression stroke too , or you're likely to bend a valve or three .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Thanks. They look like gutting knives. Wasn't sure.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Absolutely, I thought I sent a followup post when I realized I left the detail out. Thanks for the fix up!

Wes

Wes

Had a 3 artery replumbing job in late January, 6 days later was crawling on machines fixing controls. Worked on and off while recovering, then had a stroke 15 days ago. Was in the hospital for 6 days, then came out and made 5 service calls on machinery.

Im working on parting down 20 odd computers today, clearing the top of the welding table. Ill be going through about 10 boxes of used computer equipment over the weekend, then either storing or giving the unwanted stuff away.

Nothing much scheduled for this coming week, so will likely be moving some machinery around in preperation for setting up my diAcro metal bender, which I machined new bending flanges, from 1"-6", over the past few months.

Then Ill be doing some gunsmithing. Building a new scope mount for a

1911 clone.

Just taking things easy as I heal up. The body is healing..the brain is fine..the brain/mouth interface needs some work.

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product  A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual and moral principles." ?Sun Tzu

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Chuckle....

What part are you having problems with, tig welding?

Im sure we can help somewhere.....

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product  A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual and moral principles." ?Sun Tzu

Reply to
Gunner Asch

OOOOO....NICE!!!

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product  A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual and moral principles." ?Sun Tzu

Reply to
Gunner Asch

keep busy. The fans are useful for stuff like drying paint and coatings, they are brushless and make no sparks. Also useful for directing cutting oil smoke away from you or sucking it into a piece of dryer outlet tubing to pump it outside. Magnets are fun and usefull as well,

Hard drive disks are cool, but don't have many uses and won't weld. I drilled a few and hanged with fishing line as wind chimes, the baby loved one as a mobile over the crib. Might make good .22 targets

Reply to
Stupendous Man

What about Sheet Lightning

or
This looks usefull to

Geoffm

Uncle, that fine looking man in most of my web page pictures, is in the hospital for multiple blood clots in his lungs. Took me by suprize. Just Thursday he was out working up a load for a friends trapdoor in .50/70. He is a bit irritated, the docs will not let him out and about but maybe if he would just lay down when he is sick for a while he would have better luck.

Uncle made the reloading dies for the gun on his 187x lathe.

Wes

Wes

The 14 inch platters make killer frisbees!

Reply to
cavelamb

I could see rolling it out like you would make a seamed tubing, cheap to do but building the rolling mill would cost a bit. But what's a half million dollars to make a ten million feet of hinge? Still a few rollers from cheap brake line tubing benders or cut your own. Mounted to a pair of angle irons. Clamp the angle irons in a vise with the appropriate spacer and shove / pull your material thru the rollers to curl the edges up a little. Put a smaller spacer in the vise clamp it all up an make another pass. Repeat till you've got the curl you need. Might need a guide at the start to keep the material centered between the rollers. If you don't get my idea but think it is worth pursuing e-mail me and I'll do up a drawing.

Doug T

Reply to
Doug T

Thanks! I just got 3 more done today. Still tweaking the process. I got a nasty cut on my thumb about 2 weeks ago when I wasn't paying attention when grinding. So I've been using leather gloves, but my hands cramp up after a while using them. So I'm thinking about thinner gloves, or just making sure I'm really alert and not rushed when working on the belt grinder. (6 more just need grinding and etching)

Reply to
Todd Rich

Hi Gunner, I haven't tried TIG yet. Just bought the argon tank Friday. I want to get somewhat experienced with stick welding first. I've been working on a small I-beam, just making puddles with 6011 and

7014 (I think; I'd have to go out in the workshop to confirm the numbers).

Anyway, with 1/8" 7014 the rod kept freezing to the steel. The 1/16"

6011 worked *much* better but it's funny; the arc seems to go out then come back on its own, on cycles of about a second or so.

This is the first welding I've ever done. It's a Ramsond combination machine, inverter-type, supposedly goes up to 200 amps. Just playing around for now.

Best -- Terry

Reply to
Terry

good idea, I've thought about buying a Pexto unit and making rollers - I don't think rollers on angle iron will work - .040 stainless is pretty stiff - I'll try and remember to take my drawing to Westec next week and see if someone there has an idea -

This particular shape was very common in cars of the mid 30s, but disappeared entierly by the post WWII era when the idea of hinging the hood at the windshield came into fashion. The only car Iknow of that doesn't open the hood in one gigantic piece that was built after WWII is my Morgan

+4 - it still opens "old style" -- I actually don't remmeber how the center hinge works on the Morgan -
Reply to
Bill Noble

(...)

Here is more info about that:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:54:37 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

That's quite the handy gadget, Winnie. Congrats.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks, Larry.

Reply to
Winston

Very neat.

I have the identical hoist and have made it into a rear mounted crane on my tractor, mainly used for lifting limestone blocks.

Alan

Reply to
alan200

Thanks!

You've discovered that near maximum extension, the base of the bottle jack will wedge against the hoist column for about half of the possible angles of axial rotation WRT the hoist arm. Arrgh! :)

The example jack at the local HF store had 'sprung' with the ram at an angle to the body of the jack because some bozo had apparently kept pumping after the jack had trapped itself that way.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston