Anyone doing any metalwork?

I'm getting on to 70% on the containers. I'm up to 1200 lf of 1.5 tube now. Worked till midnight last night in the very cool mountain air welding up the
connectors. Making the hitch stock lateral to lift the 3 x 3 components for the hoist. Tonight, the other side, but this one much simpler. Two double door sets to be made, but those will be simple. 16' wide, 8' high, skinned with Fabral Mighty rib. Won't be long after that, and the concrete floor will go in. woohoo.
Some bracing, and the fab of the lifting frame so I can lift things, and lift my boat off the trailer to work on it, and the trailer. Building the usual chop saw stands, racks, and all the doodads. Going to be about 15 gallons of paint through an airless.
Anyone else got anything going when they're not blogging politics? Or should I bring up metalworking in a political group? ;-)
Steve
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:57:38 -0700, Steve B wrote:

I'm mostly gluing balsa at the moment.
--
www.wescottdesign.com

On 8/17/2011 1:21 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

Whatcha making, Tom?
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:25:09 -0500, Richard wrote:

I'm rebuilding a rather battered Flight Streak* that was given to me. I'm not sure if you can get to here without being registered, but here goes:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic "001.0
* Top Flight "Flight Streak", almost-ready-to-fly control line airplane.
--
www.wescottdesign.com

On 8/17/2011 7:12 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

Sorry - I wasn't ignoring you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwDMAPwa8p8
Burt Rutan - eight videos of his career. I think #3 was the boyhood control line competition.
I'm building a couple of new free-flight peanuts right now.
Looking forward to eventually bending some piano wire for fittings (Metal work in it's most miniscule form)!
This one is a bit weird. It will have a prop on the nose to fly, and a scale nose plug without a prop - because the aircraft being modeled is a Boeing 707.
For a peanut (13" wingspan) it's a whale!
Richard
On 8/18/2011 3:23 PM, Richard wrote:

Give me an email address and I'll send a PDF print if you want...
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:57:38 -0700, "Steve B"

I'm well over 100 hours into adding a knee ball screw and pnuematic counter balance to my CNC knee mill. I have the mill running and the servo mounted to the knee ball screw. Today's job is adding a servo brake. I still need to mount two limit switches, a home switch and a "knee is clamped" switch. Then the job is done.
Good that I'm on the home stretch. Harvest begins in ten days. Then I work like a dog for two months.
Karl
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 13:27:28 -0500, Karl Townsend

I'm working on a modernization project - new drives, hydraulics, etc. - on the 1950's version of one of these. Mechanically, there's very little difference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
4sP9f-RfY
Finishing the design and about ready to order material for plating fixtures for turbine shafts.
Need to start design work on a mod to an articulating table that I built last summer on the outfeed of a hot rolling mill . The previous table is in this video at 1:10 and 1:45. (I also built the machine behind and to the left of the guy at 0:10.)
My "new" 1951 Monarch Series 61 is almost ready for paint. Today I welded back together the pieces of a cast aluminum door that looks like it came out on the short end of an encounter with a forklift.
http://www.nedsim.com/news/Monarch61Naked03.JPG
Waiting for weld-on hydraulic flanges for a pair of 100 GPM oil manifolds.
Two weeks ago I delivered a tracer attachment I designed and built for a boring lathe similar to this:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i108/packrat2006/Drilco%201963/IMG_0007.jpg
Material is in the shop to build four positioning devices. This is the prototype:
http://www.nedsim.com/news/Arm03.JPG
And, aside from metal work, I got to spend a couple hours on the water in one of these with the builder this morning, and went for swim in the afternoon. http://www.pulsiferhampton.com /
--
Ned Simmons

Only little tiny stuff to, mostly to get other housework-type jobs done. (dowel-end drill guide, paint mixer, and a tiny prop-shaft holder for a micro RC plane)
And I am also gluing balsa, 1990 vintage Hobbico Flightstar 40 that my sons and I are building as electric rather than gas.
Dave
On 8/17/2011 9:57 AM, Steve B wrote:

Well, rather the other end of the size scale, but I'm working on a bench photomacrography stand. Scored a cute positioning stage on ebay, rotary axis, XY axis, and two goniometers at 90 degrees to each other. And working on a linear stage that should be able to position the camera in increments of a tenth, driven by stepper motor via reduction and an ultra precise Universal Thread Grinding lead screw. Have a 20x and 40x, and for the latter, I'm hoping .0001 is fine enough. I looked at some Velcro loops with the 40x mounted on the bellows. Lordy, it was all I could do to hold one loop centered in the frame, somewhat in focus, and it looked huge! The above objectives have a very short working distance. Just scored a Nikon metallurgical objective, 4x, it's got more like a 10mm working distance, much easier to light the subject. Here's an example of what the 4x is capable of: <http://www.janrik.net/insects/ExtendedDOF/DifficultTestCase.html
Rigidity is everything at these extreme magnifications. Overall, I'm building something more or less like this: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t 47>
And building something even more ambitious for my brother, who's really deeply into this.
Sorry, no politics, too busy for that crap...
Jon
I am pulling behind me a 2000 lbs capacity jib crane with a 2 ton hoist on it. The kind that weighs 2,000 lbs and bolts to the floor.

This is a 10 foot tall jib with a 12 foot long arm. 2 ton Yale hoist, with a trolley of course, was on it (now separated).
The price was $200.

No, I mean are you actually MAKING anything out of all these components you are buying?
Steve

No, just buying and selling. Last thing I made something was a month ago. (base for a truck crane). By the way, I am very happy with my truck crane, it is the real thing and the bed does not visibly deflect at all.

Sometimes you just have to build shit, and it works or it doesn't. Case in point: I made an eight foot pedestal for my welding machine, thinking I could tow it around on my ATV and reach all the spots I needed to reach on my container project. Made said pedestal, and by myself, hoisted 85# or so machine up to pinnacle. Found out that I could not get close enough to reach the welds I needed to make because of restrictions of 10' gun. No need to get a $175 15' gun for one project. Went to 2" hitch bar spanner, and electric hoist, and it worked like a dream, and with 7% of the labor and effort of the topheavy trailer mounted device.
Glad your truck hoist worked. My personal main concern was if the bed of the truck's sheet metal was going to hold, but if you attached at frame rails or stronger points, it should be good to go. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, figured you'd just have to make it and then do a reality check on it and find out how you did. Spending time and money and effort and band-aids on projects that don't work out, to me, are as valuable as those that work letter perfect. I know that lift of yours has to save you a lot of effort and time.
In the end, I know you'd say it worked, or ........... it didn't.
But, Iggy, the final chapter is to be written. Wait until you have that questionable engine block, or lathe part that you're just not certain about.
Two things will happen. It will work. Or it won't.
Always retire to a safe distance and watch.
Now, onward and upward.
Steve

I was thinking about this story (welding stuff up high) and I wonder if, perhaps, it would just be easier to do with a stick welder and 75 foot leads?

I already moved stuff such as a 800 lbs compressor, with this crane. No problems. Yesterday, a Boyar Schultz surface grinder. No problems.
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 23:26:40 -0700, "Steve B"

Even better if you can build the entire project out of current "JUNK" on hand, and it works on the first try!!!! Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Gerald Miller wrote:

I've been doing that for almost 50 years, but the 'junkbox' keeps growing.
Steve B wrote:

Yes, he's making money out of them, something the rest of us wish we could do...