Anyone doing any metalwork?

That's a big 'un. I like the surface grinder, did you get that too?

If you haven't killed anyone with your current truck and trailer I have no doubt you will pass the CDL test just fine. No texting, blogging, newsgrouping or website admining or similar while taking the road test...

Reply to
Pete C.

Guy I knew had an empty bottle roll out from under the seat when he did the quick stop. He failed.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Ensuring that cargo is properly and safely secured is one of the driver's responsibilities.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes, Boyar Schultz 612 Deluxe, $100. Comes with electromagnetic chuck.

VBG

Reply to
Ignoramus16731

I'm working on a modernization project - new drives, hydraulics, etc.

- on the 1950's version of one of these. Mechanically, there's very little difference:

Finishing the design and about ready to order material for plating fixtures for turbine shafts.

Need to start design work on a mod to an articulating table that I built last summer on the outfeed of a hot rolling mill . The previous table is in this video at 1:10 and 1:45. (I also built the machine behind and to the left of the guy at 0:10.)

My "new" 1951 Monarch Series 61 is almost ready for paint. Today I welded back together the pieces of a cast aluminum door that looks like it came out on the short end of an encounter with a forklift.

Waiting for weld-on hydraulic flanges for a pair of 100 GPM oil manifolds.

Two weeks ago I delivered a tracer attachment I designed and built for a boring lathe similar to this:

Material is in the shop to build four positioning devices. This is the prototype:
And, aside from metal work, I got to spend a couple hours on the water in one of these with the builder this morning, and went for swim in the afternoon.

Ned Simmons

Steve B wrote: (...)

I made some pallet forks for my hydraulic cart. Been rebuilding my front landing hardscape with it.

It sure is nice organizing the pallets of pavers in proper order then scooting them out of the way a section at a time.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Sometimes you just have to build shit, and it works or it doesn't. Case in point: I made an eight foot pedestal for my welding machine, thinking I could tow it around on my ATV and reach all the spots I needed to reach on my container project. Made said pedestal, and by myself, hoisted 85# or so machine up to pinnacle. Found out that I could not get close enough to reach the welds I needed to make because of restrictions of 10' gun. No need to get a $175 15' gun for one project. Went to 2" hitch bar spanner, and electric hoist, and it worked like a dream, and with 7% of the labor and effort of the topheavy trailer mounted device.

Glad your truck hoist worked. My personal main concern was if the bed of the truck's sheet metal was going to hold, but if you attached at frame rails or stronger points, it should be good to go. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, figured you'd just have to make it and then do a reality check on it and find out how you did. Spending time and money and effort and band-aids on projects that don't work out, to me, are as valuable as those that work letter perfect. I know that lift of yours has to save you a lot of effort and time.

In the end, I know you'd say it worked, or ........... it didn't.

But, Iggy, the final chapter is to be written. Wait until you have that questionable engine block, or lathe part that you're just not certain about.

Two things will happen. It will work. Or it won't.

Always retire to a safe distance and watch.

Now, onward and upward.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

And sometimes, it is creating a solution to a basic simple problem for some clueless people that you're ashamed to take credit for. But, of course, do.............. A little drill press here, a little grinding here, a $.27 bushing here, a piece of flat bar, a couple of tack welds, some hot glue.

Too bad we weren't around during the period in history when people were truly ignorant. We would have been gods.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Well, it's just plain refreshing that some people here are not glued to their computers, wearing Depends, sending out for Chinese, and are actually out there fixing God knows what that is made of metal.

That's what it's all about, and then after that, it's time for discussion around the pot bellied stove, with some porter or Buillet, and some cheese and crackers.

We worked tonight until midnight, weather being so pleasant, dead calm, temps right at 70F. Lighting courtesy of Planet Hollywood metal halide parking lot lights. LOTS of little connectors to do, plus had to add another four rows of laterals on 12' sheets @ 6' centers so they wouldn't flap too much in high winds. (On advice from factory rep.) Still taking pictures, but it just looks like three more packs of Pick Up Sticks tossed on the oringal pack.

Glad to hear everyone is doing their own thing, and the group has a core of actual doers, along with the ancillary thinkers and hypothesizers, and hypotheticals, and just plain nut cases.

And wannabes.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I was thinking about this story (welding stuff up high) and I wonder if, perhaps, it would just be easier to do with a stick welder and 75 foot leads?

I already moved stuff such as a 800 lbs compressor, with this crane. No problems. Yesterday, a Boyar Schultz surface grinder. No problems.

Ignoramus20025

I've got the shell mostly complete on my new shed: pallet racking with steel siding, roofline (gambrel with soffits and eave overhangs, extended porch over the door) defined by steel studs, some racking beams cut and rewelded a foot shorter to tie the two pairs of uprights together, uprights shortenned 5', angle welded across the tops of the cut-down uprights for the rafters to mount to, mount in place for a 5' jib hoist out the door; upright cut-offs, unistrut, and angle welded up for a 5x7 sliding door, post vise mocked in place, anvil stump in place, playing with ideas on how/where to mount the bender (I'm thinking some sort of indexable mount for those bends that would otherwise take up more "swing space" than I have available...maybe I'll sink a post outside that I could move it to when needed, too). Lots of self-drilling screws, with and without gaskets, and a few pounds of 7014.

Need to figure a better way to seal the sliding door and make a latch for it.

Most time consuming part right now is getting all the interior organization done before I get it filled with all the crud I need to move out of the garage to build new shelves and reorganize stuff there so I can actually get at the lathe and milling machine.

Oh, and drilled and tapped the hole in the mount for the drill press table arm to change it from just a set screw (judging from the lack of marks in the bracket, never used) to a lock pin to hold the table at

90 degress to the spindle. I'm tired of it pivoting out of the way when I lean on it.

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

I've been like one of those yellow smiley faces slamming its head against the wall learning how to do lost foam aluminum casting. And it is looking like I just might have it down without any hydrogen porosity in the castings. The metal even sounds different, if you drop it it rings unlike a dull thud of before. We're talking a huge amount of experiments to get everything to work. I got a wood stove temperature meter to make sure I'm not cooking it too hot and feel like the back seat engineer of an old fighter jet staring into an 8" dia aluminum tube to read the numbers on bright sunny days.

Made a jig for machining the eventual castings and put graduations around it. As described here at least a decade ago by using the locking pin and holes on the back gear and putting the tool bit sideways and shaping the lines by hand driving the carriage.

Sunday I finally hung a large mirror in the master bathroom. Was putting that off for a long time cause the whole house feeds off that one wall. Should have designed the house just 2 feet bigger, but it's a bit late now. Anyhow the back of the main electrical panel is right where a mounting point should go, so I devised a plan to mount something metal across the back of the mirror and hang it by special cabinet screws put into the wall. The only thing I could find was EMT, so I flattened the ends and bent them so they would set flat like the edge of the diameter of the tube and drilled for two screws per side. Then I milled a 1/4 or a bit less of the dia. below the center line so the heads of the screws would capture the mirror. Well, must have gotten distracted or something cause right when I was mounting it I realized that I machined it exactly opposite, stupid! It is amazing how fast things go when you have to do them multiple times compared to the first time.

0 0

Mounts kinda offset like above, sides are missing. Took a bit of work to get the screws level, but I foresaw that one coming. That and making sure they where secure in the slots.

There is more, but time to get at it again.

Oh, and between the slamming I go to the river and play sea otter and contemplate the next move.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Once had a rent-a-car shoot out a half-full bottle of Vodka at the first hard stop. Find me a rest area trash can NOW! And never using that rental company again...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

RICH, too.

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

...or burned at the stake. Never underestimate the power of large groups of ignorant people and the leaders who _like_ them that way...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

--Heh. Building a replacement outfeed table for my tablesaw because I stole the last one for my new dedicated welding space.. Making new table out of 1-1/2" square tube, .09" wall. It's giving me a chance to practice my TIG welding. I'm great in corners and vertical up but I'm still lousy on horizontal "T" intersections and vertical down. Best quote I ever heard about welding was from a pal who hangs with the Flaming Lotus Girls: "Every learning welder has a mile of bad bead in 'em they've got to get out". I've got about a half mile to go.. ;-)

Reply to
steamer

Just finished a metal spinning beading tool so tomorrow I get to shape the maple spinning former and spin up some brass lamp galleries with beaded edges.

Reply to
David Billington

Location? Year? Model? Price? I would love to have a good used truck parked out back but I am retired, living on a fixed income, and we squeeze every nickel we can.

Reply to
Usual suspect

Sorry - I wasn't ignoring you!

Rutan - eight videos of his career. I think #3 was the boyhood control line competition.

I'm building a couple of new free-flight peanuts right now.

Looking forward to eventually bending some piano wire for fittings (Metal work in it's most miniscule form)!

This one is a bit weird. It will have a prop on the nose to fly, and a scale nose plug without a prop - because the aircraft being modeled is a Boeing 707.

For a peanut (13" wingspan) it's a whale!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Give me an email address and I'll send a PDF print if you want...

Reply to
Richard