Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

wrote:

Alibre Professional also has a sheet metal function. I have Alibre standard, which unfortunately doesn't have that capability.

What about Sheet Lightning http://www.revcad.com/ or http://www.download3000.com/download_31997.html
This looks usefull to http://www.filesland.com/download/square-to-round.html
    --Still getting Calliopus Minimus ready for 'prime time'; i.e. I'll be showing it off at the upcoming Makers Faire in San Mateo, CA. Working on tidy method of mounting electronics. Trying to figure out who makes a portable air compressor that isn't louder than my calliope!
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Imagine what I could do if
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : I knew what I was doing...

Getting an education on lousy machining by using an optical comparator to look at and measure the fillet radiuses on a transmission shaft. Also learned to calculate the resultant stress concentration factors. Also learned that in some cases the Machinist was not the culprit. He did what the designer said via the drawings. Also Qualtiy Control, or lack thereof, let some dangerous botched machine operations slip thru. There are some good reasons for having time life limits on parts used in critical mechanical components. I'm searching for anyone who understands not just how, but also the why of the "4 pass graphic single plane balancing method". I'm surprised by the number of people who know how to use it but not the why the various parts are done. Finished construction of my steel racks for the storing of a bunch of steel angle, strap and tubes that I picked up for a song at a yard sale. Won't need to go to the steel supplier for a while.
Stu Fields

Get one that's big enough, then make a sound-proofing box around it. 3/4" plywood, acoustic tile lining, and leave a labyrinth at both ends for cool air in and warm air out. And a box fan to ensure flow. And then park it outside and bring a few hundred feet of 3/4" air hose, because you can /still/ only muffle the sound so much.
An accumulator tank inside*right* before the calliope too. You need to recreate the big wind chest right below the pipes in a pipe organ.
--<< Bruce >>--
Been working rather furiously on a turned five part enclosure for an electronic instrument I'm designing. Got a proof of concept unit and a 3d modeled proto turned on my Jet lathe and had a real machinist make me 4 more preproduction units. Played around with Alodining the parts and painting them with bake-on phenolic resin paint.
Right now I have to work on finalizing the cad dwgs into a bid package and send it out. Anyone out there have a CNC lathe and want to bid?
Took time out Saturday to go to the Bay Area Model Engine club meeting...
http://baemclub.com /
Every time I want to get inspired to do good machining, I see what those guys are up to.
Looking at some old sheet metal designs that can be redesigned in 3D CAD and simplified.
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:31:35 -0700, Jim Stewart

Hi Jim, where do you get bake-on phenolic resin paint? I have an application not at all related to painting...
Best -- Terry
Terry wrote:

Here you go...
http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_about.asp

Well there is two threads that if you marked ignore would kill 800 posts.
Outside of Cliffh and TMT, most of the people that post often not only have a point of view but know what they speak of. Not to single them out but JC and EH are a valuable resource. Gunner also has answered a number of metalworking questions and helped to connect various members of this usenet group with items they seeked.
Kill file the cross posters that get linked from the troll posts, mark ignore the threads that have devolved and your view of rcm will be will be though a fairly clean window.
I did touch my lathe (Clausing 6903) http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/Clausing.html Cold as a witches tit. Felt good to touch the girl. Someday the grass will be green and the snow will be gone.
Wes

Hi Steve, I bit the bullet and bought a cheap stick/TIG welder/plasma cutter and am learning to weld. Well...that may be an exaggeration. I'm learning to make very bad seams, that's what I'm doing.
Also bought nomex coveralls to wear while welding. Only partly for fire safety. When I bought a VW bus many years ago, my friend Jeff gave me a pair of coveralls and insisted that I wear them while working on the bus. It seems that a pair of dirty coveralls intimidates the vehicle into thinking that a proper mechanic is working on it. I'm using the same kind of logic to improve the welds.
It's not working...
Best -- Terry

Welding is just like learning to play the piano. After a few thousand hours, you will improve or give it up. I've been welding since 1974. Just do what you're doing. Practice, and weld on dirty crooked "stuff". Most anyone can weld on clean plate or machine cut goods. And use that personal protective gear. Wear UNFRAYED cotton. Don't skimp on a good hood or good safety stuff. Don't forget about earplugs. Keeps out the dingleberries. (those little molten BBs) Learn to use 7018 rods.
Steve

Chuckle....
What part are you having problems with, tig welding?
Im sure we can help somewhere.....
Gunner
"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual and moral principles." Sun Tzu
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:18:42 -0700, Gunner Asch

Hi Gunner, I haven't tried TIG yet. Just bought the argon tank Friday. I want to get somewhat experienced with stick welding first. I've been working on a small I-beam, just making puddles with 6011 and 7014 (I think; I'd have to go out in the workshop to confirm the numbers).
Anyway, with 1/8" 7014 the rod kept freezing to the steel. The 1/16" 6011 worked *much* better but it's funny; the arc seems to go out then come back on its own, on cycles of about a second or so.
This is the first welding I've ever done. It's a Ramsond combination machine, inverter-type, supposedly goes up to 200 amps. Just playing around for now.
Best -- Terry

Oh, and I almost forgot. I remounted the mailbox. Again. I think this is twelve times it's been knocked over in four years. The latest post lasted a long time; very stiff spring let the post pop back into position after it's been hit. But this time the spring broke.
Some incidents have been accidental but at least a couple have clearly been deliberate. I'm not sure about the last one.
Hmm... I may have to embed the next post in concrete. The concrete will be reinforced with rebar. The ends of some of the rebar will accidentally stick up a few inches above the concrete. Those ends might be pretty sharp; some of them come that way from Home Despot....
Best -- Terry ....accidents will happen....sorry about those ripped-up Michelins...

We used to get teenagers that played mailbox baseball. After losing a couple to bats, I lined one with plate steel. Put it on a steel pipe post and wrapped it with 1 bys. Looked like a good wind would make it fall over. Every new crop of mailbox baseballers got to play with it. Even found a couple of stubs and splinters of Louisville Sluggers. That had to hurt. Never did have a car hit it.
Steve

I know somebody who had a problem with kids bashing mailboxes with baseball bats. He filled a mailbox with concrete and set it at a random location on the street. A couple of nights later....
Whap! Whap! Whap! Whap! *THUD* "@#$%^#@@@!!!!!"
and they went off to bother another neighborhood.
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:34:11 -0500, the infamous Terry

Be careful. In some (Blue?) states, those baseballers have more rights than you do. You're made liable if they get hurt. Google RCM and the Wreck for more info on the "mailbox" threads.
Check with your AG and/or local Sheriff for details in your area. Logic doesn't work here. <sigh>
--
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in
nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding

    [ ... ]

    Well ... I'm stuck not able to do any work for the moment. I had cataract surgery about a week and a half ago, and am under instructions to not lift anything over twenty pounds -- which locks out a lot of what I would want to work with. A few days more and I am free, until the next eye.
    However -- as a potential benefit for welding in the future -- the replacement lenses are UV blockers. The eyeball could still get a flash burn, but the retina is protected.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Just get real good equipment and learn to become anal about using it all the time. Sure, things happen, but my experience has been that guys who really watch the safety aspects have fewer "incidents."
Hope you're back at it soon. I know it gets to grind on me when I have a backlog of "stuff" because I'm feelin puny.
Steve

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    As I have been with safety glasses, never using gloves around machine tools, removing both my wedding ring and my watch before using such tool (and hanging them on a mini-carabiner on my belt).

    Agreed. I still have all my fingers.

    Indeed -- though I do have the newsgroup to read and post in while I can't do things -- so I can share what I know with those who ask questions.
    Thanks,         DoN.