mill vise recommendation?

I have a Jet mill/drill. It came with an adjustable-angle vise that is pretty close to useless: it sticks up pretty high over the table, and it is about impossible to get it square in two out of the three axes.

I understand that for the best rigidity and accuracy I need to clamp pieces directly to the table. But since this is just a mill/drill, a lot of what I'm doing is relatively small and light work on soft materials, so a vise often works fine.

I would like to get a better quality vise for milling. Can anyone help me with specific recommendations of manufacturers or models to prefer or avoid?


Reply to
Walter Harley
Loading thread data ...

Reply to

Reply to
Grant Erwin

--Kurt makes the best 4" vise around, but they're pricey. Probably cost as much as the bench mill if bought new. Look for used or reconditioned 4" Kurts?

Reply to

I believe these come in several different sizes. I have the large one, JMD-18 and I use a 6 inch kurt vise. Best decision I could have made. That vise is awesome. Even though I have smaller knee mills, I still find myself using the mill/drill a lot because it has the large vise.


Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

This is the key. To get one which is suqare you are going to have to ante up. I have a 6" swivel base which cost me $380, but it is square. I don't know the brand, but it comes through an outfit in Reno. I buy through Murray Industrial Supply in Sacramento. They should be able to give you some info. 1-800-477-1985, ask for Bruce. The catalogue numbers are 76-229 through 76-232 for 4" through 8".

Bob S.

Reply to
Robert Scibienski

I've got a used 4" Kurt. Gonna keep using it, too! :~)

Reply to

TTC makes a Kurt knock off, with the spherical/wedge clamping and moveable jaws. Swivel base comes off. I just got an older one, and it seems to be well made, but haven't made chips w/ it. Travers has it new, the 4" for $150. David

Reply to
David Malicky

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.