mill vise recommendation?

I have a Jet mill/drill. It came with an adjustable-angle vise that is
pretty close to useless: it sticks up pretty high over the table, and it is
about impossible to get it square in two out of the three axes.
I understand that for the best rigidity and accuracy I need to clamp pieces
directly to the table. But since this is just a mill/drill, a lot of what
I'm doing is relatively small and light work on soft materials, so a vise
often works fine.
I would like to get a better quality vise for milling. Can anyone help me
with specific recommendations of manufacturers or models to prefer or avoid?
Thanks!
Reply to
Walter Harley
I bought a 4" machine vice, an inexpensive knockoff of a Kurt type vise, its about the right size for a benchtop mill and still light enough not to give you a hernia. Up here in Canada the BusyBee version sells for $125-175, with and without the swivel base. I am sure they are available at HF or Grizzly for equivelent US funds. Any bigger than the 4" and you start running into height problems, or lack of it :-) when you start using larger drills.
Walter Harley wrote:
Reply to
Machineman
I once bought the Palmgren 425B and liked it fine. - GWE
Walter Harley wrote:
Reply to
Grant Erwin
--Kurt makes the best 4" vise around, but they're pricey. Probably cost as much as the bench mill if bought new. Look for used or reconditioned 4" Kurts?
Reply to
steamer
I believe these come in several different sizes. I have the large one, JMD-18 and I use a 6 inch kurt vise. Best decision I could have made. That vise is awesome. Even though I have smaller knee mills, I still find myself using the mill/drill a lot because it has the large vise.
chuck
Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood
This is the key. To get one which is suqare you are going to have to ante up. I have a 6" swivel base which cost me $380, but it is square. I don't know the brand, but it comes through an outfit in Reno. I buy through Murray Industrial Supply in Sacramento. They should be able to give you some info. 1-800-477-1985, ask for Bruce. The catalogue numbers are 76-229 through 76-232 for 4" through 8".
Bob S.
Reply to
Robert Scibienski
I've got a used 4" Kurt. Gonna keep using it, too! :~)
Reply to
michael
TTC makes a Kurt knock off, with the spherical/wedge clamping and moveable jaws. Swivel base comes off. I just got an older one, and it seems to be well made, but haven't made chips w/ it. Travers has it new, the 4" for $150. David
> I would like to get a better quality vise for milling. Can anyone help me > with specific recommendations of manufacturers or models to prefer or avoid?
Reply to
David Malicky
I use a "Toolmakers vise" from Enco,
have bought one from HF and found it to be of equal quality. They are not as massive as a Kurt-type vise, but also not as high. I can put them side by side or end to end on my mill/drill for hold larger work. Supposedly all the sides are ground and parallel, so setup with an indicator in the spindle is pretty easy, even using a straight-edge works pretty well.
Walter Harley wrote:
Reply to
nic