Major problem - Lost my Lug Nut key

25 Years ago my wife and I were grocery shopping. We parked on the side of the store. After loading the car we drove off and there was this all this racket coming from the right side of the car. Upon investigation it turned out that all the lug nuts were loosened on that side of the car. A few were almost all the way off. Because of the deeply counterbored lugnut holes it was not immediately obvious that the nuts were backed off. The parking lot emptied onto a 50 mph highway. Sure an glad we discovered the problem before we got on the highway. I suppose if we had been shopping for ten more minutes there would have been no wheels on the car. The weird thing was the mags weren't even expensive ones. I wonder if it was the new tires they were really after. ERS
Reply to
Eric R Snow

My son had a similar experience, we took it to a tire store and they used a air chisel to spin the nut off, took all less then a minute per nut and cost $15US, had I thought about it I would have spent the money and bought myself the airchisel.

Reply to
SomeBody

The odds can get rather high, especially since a lot of cars are coming with factory alloys that can't be easily replaced in case they bend or break a wheel. They'll go to the dealer and be told $400 each, go to a wrecking yard and be told $150 or $200 - Then they spot your car with the wheels they need, and they're as good as gone.

Go get another set of locking lug-nuts, but this time secure the information about the manufacturer and the key code at home, where you can find it. With the title and vehicle paperwork is a good place, and be sure to pass it along when you sell the car. Worst case being you have to order another key and wait a few days.

To be an uber-mensch, order a spare key now and keep it at home, use it for when you do service work so you don't have to dig out the hidden-in-the-car key every time.

You can even order more sets for other family cars with that same key code, so all your cars can use the same key.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman