Making diamond glass cutter

I don't know. Mine was bought almost 70 years ago. I just can't throw anything out. d8-)

"Bort" (also spelled "boort") is trade jargon for what most people call industrial diamonds. But there are synthetic diamonds in several forms today, used in industry, and calling them "industrial diamonds" can lead to some confusion.

Depending on what you want it for, synthetics may be a better choice. Google around on "industrial diamonds" and you'll find out all about them, including both the natural bort and synthetics.

Huh. I didn't realize they cracked carbide that way.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I'm a pack rat too and my wife is just thrilled about this... ;o)

Thanx, all this talk about glass cutters had made me interested in trying to make one myself. I love a good project and I think this is one that I could knock out in a reasonable amount of time and I've always wanted to try making leaded glass windows.

At least my father did. He's the grandson of and old time blacksmith and learnt all sorts of unusual ways of doing things from my great-grandfather.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

I think there are one or two people here who know how to do leaded glass. They may be able to save you some grief, if you ask. Cutting that stuff is a little tricky, I'm told.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

like everything else, it just takes practice. sometimes you can get free glass to try on at your local window shop, or at least dumpster dive for some. go for single strength, then double strength. once you get that down well, you'll be able to handle a lot of the cheap colored glasses. save the more expensive ones for when you get better. some of the glass i use runs in the $150/sqft range.

regards, charlie

charlie

Titanium Hydride is coated on the Diamond and that amalgamates with the Silver-Copper and it is in turn bonded in another amalgamate on the Carboloy cylinder.

The trick naturally was the Hydride of Titanium. One can paint with that. Possibility one could try Titanium Oxide but it might not amalgam well if at all.

Mart>> >>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

When cutting sapphire gems into ring stones and such I used diamond laps. They were expensive and the diamond was in a resin atop an Aluminum disk.

Yea Baby! - we didn't have to make our own laps! That would be a task. They were 8" with a 4" wide lapping area. We used water coolant as some stones we worked on absorbed or had fine flaws that wicked in some of the water based oils.

Martin

Mart>> Granted. Compression fracture will find a flaw.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn